Saturday, February 27, 2016

Valentina Fashion: Something Sparkly For You AND A Great Cause

[Product was provided by PR for review.]

Sparkly things will always catch my eye - what can I say? But I have been trying to be more dedicated in efforts to be more accountable and thoughtful in my clothing and fashion choices, so when Valentina Fashion reached out to me to share their beautiful bracelets I was really happy to share my experiences with their brand and sustainable message.

They are a fairly young company, based in the UK, that creates chain bracelets, bangles and cuffs in a charm bracelet style; the materials are all metals and glass that can be recycled, and their outer packaging (cardboard shipping material and bubble wrap) is 100% biodegradable. They also donate 10% of each purchase to a charity, which is listed on the product page. I chose a "Sky Island" cuff (17 cm diameter), and the charity associated with it is the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds. If you've a specific charity in mind, you can filter by the charity, as well as by bracelet style. It's a lovely sentiment.

I love the purple-gold cast of the glass beads and the little wing charms (I love birds!), as well as the glass pearl bead. The cuff style is also unique to me, and the ends unscrew so that you can customize your bracelet with the style packs that they sell - but don't worry, if you screw it back on tightly, it doesn't loosen or shift with wear. They also mention that since the pieces are customizable and modular, if you need a replacement for a specific piece, they can accommodate that (so you don't have to repurchase a whole replacement).
The end screws on and off so you can personalize your bracelet, and add or replace beads.
I'm glad to see companies with a conscience becoming more mainstream, so that we have more options in making our dollars count, even while doing something like treating ourselves to something pretty. Yes, we can and should still just make complete donations to charities without expecting something in return, but I think of something like this as an extra way to contribute. What I'm trying to say is, if I'm going to buy something pretty anyway, it's nice to be able to support a company with a message I embrace, and something like this can definitely sway people. (By the way, does anyone know of a sustainable, indie clothing retailer that makes petite styles?)
Sky Island Cuff, 17 inches.

I think that I might actually purchase one of the Seaside styles for my mother-in-law (she loves sea themed things), and I think she'd also appreciate knowing that part of her gift went to the Marine Conservation Society.

Overall, thumbs up from me, and definitely a brand to keep in mind the next time you're looking for a gift (even if that gift is, you know, for yourself).