Thursday, November 5, 2015

My Perfume "Wardrobe" Pt I: Bottles

Currently: 7. But I am scheming, scheming...
Ah, these bottles make me so happy. Perfume makes me happy, really - I think it is the perfect blend of science and poetry. And it's creative science. People often assume that creativity has no place in science, and that couldn't be more wrong. How else can you have innovation?

Mini (scientist) rant aside, I thought I'd do something fun and simple: showcase my perfume wardrobe. These are the full-sized bottles. Next is the travel/mini sizes. And that'll be it. I've done full reviews of most of these already, and will link them, so these are just little blurbs in a roundup style. Shall we begin?

YSL Parisienne
I start with this because...I started with this (check out this embarrassing first review). I normally dislike berry notes, but this one works for me. In the summer the patchouli-vinyl is stifling, but in the cooler months the riesling-aromatic is delicious. S also loves it when I wear this, so there is that, and nostalgia, as it is my first perfume and we picked it out together.
notes: vinyl accord, cranberry, blackberry, damask rose, violet, peony, patchouli, vetiver, sandalwood and musk
Serge Lutens Gris Clair
This is the only SL I happen to like, I think (here are the others I've tried). It is aggressively medicinal lavender, with a delicious, smoky vanilla wind-down. I feel sexy when I wear it, in a sort of androgynous way. As if I could pull off a sleek pantsuit, paired with killer heels.
notes: lavender, amber, tonka bean, iris, dry wood, incense

Diptyque Eau Duelle
This is hands down my favorite vanilla, and I'm a vanilla fiend. I love the medicinal quality of this woodsy oriental, and the spiced vanilla drydown is the sexiest thing. Delicious. Cozy as a thick, luxurious scarf, the kind you can bury your face into and breathe in. Equally good in the summer, due to the herbal elements, and I cannot tell you the number of people who have asked what I was wearing and said it smelled amazing.
notes: cardamom, elemi resin, olibanum, bergamot, pink pepper, juniper, saffron, black tea, musk, ambergris and bourbon vanilla

Guerlain Terracotta Le Parfum
This was initially a limited edition release, but it sold so well that it was added to their permanent line. It's a buoyant summer fragrance, creamy and rich. It's all over white florals, with a splash of sunshine and coconut. I love it, although I wear it more in the warmer months, for sure.
notes: bergamot, coconut, tiar√© flower, orange blossom, jasmine, ylang ylang, vanilla and musk

L'Artisan Parfumeur La Chasse aux Papillons
This is another white floral, but it's delicate and feminine and would be more representative of a fresh-cheeked spring than a summer beach babe. It's a classic, and one that is easy to wear - it's nearly impossible to overspritz (it's an EdT). I wear this mostly in the spring.
notes: Linden blossom, lemon tree blossom, orange blossom, jasmine, tuberose

Prada Candy
This is the original - I don't like any of the flankers. It's a delicious benzoin vanilla - a resinous, elevated gourmand that I love. This was a gift from S, and it's also one that I wear more frequently in colder weather. It sticks to sweaters and scarves beautifully, and I smell delicious forever.
notes: musk, benzoin, vanilla and caramel

Prada Infusion d'Iris
Actually, I confess that I don't wear this one that often. It becomes too powdery on me, and I was sort of turned off of it by having to interact with a bunch of people who wore it. I would sell it if I knew how to ship it, ha. But it's a well constructed iris, and maybe if I let some time pass I'll be able to wear it again. Still, I think it's overall a little too safe and clean on me.
notes: mandarin neroli, orange blossom, iris, galbanum, lentisk, benzoin, incense, cedarwood, vetiver

And now, the fun part. I told you I was scheming, right? 
Full Bottle Wishlist



Heh. I know, you're all thinking, "We are tired of you banging on about that stupid TF scent, go get it already and shut up."

Noted. BUT, there's more. Admittedly, I haven't smelled three of these, √Čtat Libre de Orange Fils de Dieu, L'Artisan Tea for Two, and Prada Infusion d'Amande, but their notes are intriguing (Fils de Dieu: lime, coconut, leather; Tea for Two: Cinnamon, Ginger, Lapsang Souchong, Tobacco; Infusion d'Amande: bitter almond, heliotrope, anise, tonka bean and musk). 

I love anise, lime, tonka bean, tea and tobacco notes.

(I mean, not all together. Probably).

These all sound marvelous and also pretty unique, with no overlap in what I already have, although to be honest, that doesn't really matter too much - scent is so hard to describe and pinpoint. I already have vanillas. I want more vanillas. *shrugs*

Origins Ginger Essence isn't high brow or anything, but that ginger beer scent is amazing and I must have it for next summer - the body oil fragrance doesn't last nearly long enough. Lastly, I had a mini Jo Malone Vanilla & Anise and it's nearly gone; it's an easy, spritzy scent that you can go nuts with, and like I said - anise (although funnily enough, I think licorice is disgusting to eat. Scent and taste are so connected, but I have more of these - I love coffee and coffee flavored food items, but I cannot stand it in perfume).

So, have I got you pumped up for perfume, now? Next time I'll go over my travel sizes, and smaller indie bottles. Prolly the bottom line is that I have a shit ton of perfume, but hey.

So tell me: what is your favorite perfume? How many bottles do you have? What's the last one you purchased, what are you wearing today, and what's on your wishlist? I AM THE PERFUME CREEPER, MUAHAHA.