Sunday, September 13, 2015

Sunday Sessions: III

(What is a Sunday Session?)

Late Sunday Session over here, but

Currently...

Feeling: 

Super duper tired. Just got back from Korea. Will have a post or two up about traveling experiences there; I've been before, but this time was really the first time I walked around and did things on my own (with S.), and that made it a lot more enjoyable.

Listening to:
Gary Clark Jr.: The Story of Sonny Boy Slim. The video is for the first track off the album. I discovered him after watching Chef, and I love him. Bluesy rock, americana.

Playing:

Fantasy football, ha! S. and I are co-owners of a team, which is a fun way to do something together even though we're currently separated by the entire country.

Reading:
[source]
I read a few books on the long plane rides: Andy Weir's The Martian, Amanda Coplin's The Orchardist, and Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. The Martian was more enjoyable than I expected, although initially I was like, "I've been reading about potatoes for ten pages. They made a movie out of this?" The writing style is a bit rough, but it's funny and, unlike more recent sic-fi, has the old-school optimism of classic space adventure science fiction. Looking forward to the movie.

I also enjoyed The Graveyard Book quite a bit, and Coplin's The Orchardist made me homesick for Washington. I feel more nostalgia when I read about the PNW and Seattle and eastern WA than I do when I read about Hawaii. I think it has something to do with the fact that I chose to live there as an adult; there is something to be said about childhood hometowns, but WA state will always make me feel warm and fuzzy.

The last book I started was Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch. I'm only about 10% in and so far find it a bit meandering and self-indulgent, but hopefully it'll pick up.


Ok, that's it. Short post tonight, sorry. I've got a few Etude House lip products to try and maybe talk about later, but to be honest, I didn't pay much attention to beauty products when I was on vacation. I wanted to walk around and eat and see things, and also spend time with S and my parents. It was a fantastic trip, but now I have a lot of work to catch up on, so I'm not sure how frequent posts will be this month. I'm also trying to go through my backlog of comments. I feel like I haven't chatted with anyone in ages - how are you guys doing?