Friday, July 10, 2015

Current Cleansers and a Deep Cleanser Option for Dry Skin

[Products were purchased by me, except * which was a press sample, **, which was a GWP, and ***, which was a gift from a friend.]

I know, you're thinking, "What, after weeks of silence, you're trying to tempt us back with CLEANSERS? PFT."

Erm, well, in my defense, cleansers are important. Also, as someone with dry skin, it's hard to find a deep-cleaning cleanser that isn't stripping or intended for oily skin. But I think I found one, so I thought it'd be helpful to share. The rest of these are staples, and I linked to reviews where possible.

After years of pretty temperate skin, I got a new job and moved across the country, underwent various other environmental changes, (more pollution here, the effects of the climate changes through the road trip, etc.,) and pissed my skin off. I broke out in odd places. Uncool.

The problem was, though, that my skin is still dry and fairly sensitive, and a lot of acne cleansers and treatments assume that anyone who is dealing with acne must have oily, robust skin. Nope. Not true. Takes all kinds!

My general evening routine consists of a cleansing oil to remove makeup and sunscreen (I rotate through them - favorites include Shu Uemura and Tatcha, although my next one is this), followed by the Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Hydrating Cleanser in the "creamy formula." This Neutrogena cleanser is so much nicer than the hideous orange classic that JLH raved over years ago. It's pretty simple and non-drying, and doesn't irritate my skin, but it still gets rid of any residue left over from the cleansing oil (or shampoo/conditioner after I shower). It's also about $8-12, depending on the store and the sale, so it is going to be a staple.

Once or twice a week, I exfoliate with either the Clarisonic Mia 2*** and a cleanser (Neutrogena or the First Aid Beauty pictured, which I'll talk about below), or with the Tatcha Polished Gentle Rice Enzyme Powder*. I'll also use the Clarisonic if I actually wore a full-face foundation during the day, which is getting to be rarer and rarer; if I wore full foundation every day, I would not use the Clarisonic every day.

That's the normal routine, but the recent change of location meant dealing with tons of humidity, sweat, and air pollution that I haven't dealt with in years, so I wanted to add something with a little more oomph to the 1-2x week slot, to get a little more deep cleansing. I dug out this trial-sized First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Deep Cleanser with Red Clay** that I had gotten with some Sephora promotion a while back.

First Aid Beauty products are hit or miss with me; I love their Oatmeal Mask and Ultra Repair Cream, but actively disliked their lip balm, normal cleanser, and those cursed FAB Radiance Pads that everyone seems to love. So, I was wary about this one, thinking it might be too intense, but actually, it's quite nice. It feels like more of a deep cleanse without being stripping; my skin still feels soft and supple afterward, and some of the sweat/dirty skin-related breakouts calmed down. I've used it on its own and with the Clarisonic, and both methods are fine. If you have dry skin but are looking for something a little more clarifying, this might be one to try.

Lastly, I have been more active on Instagram and Twitter than on the blog lately, since it is easy to snap quick photos or fire off thoughts (140 characters or less!) at any given time, but all of my extra time has been spent catching up on statistics and R, reading scientific journals, or actively not spending time on the computer, as I use it so much for work. Please pop in and say hi! I miss reading blogs and catching up with everyone. I've also been trying to take some fashion snaps and report back on the food scene here in my new city, which is always fun. Have a great weekend!