Wednesday, March 4, 2015

FOTD: Soft Winged Eye (Marc Jacobs Enigma Palette)

Remember my favorite things?

I already reviewed The Parisienne and The Siren, and this isn't going to be an in-depth review of The Engima - just an FOTD feature. I have two more coming up, as well; Enigma has been getting a lot of use, as it's a lovely palette with a great mix of cooler neutrals, brilliant for daytime AND nighttime looks (for swatches, visit The Beauty Look Book or Temptalia).

I tried to do a soft smoked wing look, using shades 1, 2, 4, 5 (from the left of the palette); the pink shades went all over the lid (matte 5 first, then shimmery 4 just over the inner corner with a fluffy brush), followed by a deepening of the crease with 2 (gunmetal), and then a more graphic winged liner with 1, the matte black. I finished with mascara. I don't typically use shadows for liner because they don't always stay put in neat lines, but I didn't have a lot of trouble with this one. I did use a primer to really bring out the color of these shadows, and that probably helped.
I think this is one of my favorite looks, lately. I've really been feeling the soft pinks!

I wish I could remember what lipstick that is. I think it's Laura Mercier Baby Lips (which is kind of a creepy name, you guys), and I think the blush is Dior Capri. In lieu of foundation, I'm just wearing concealer and the Bobbi Brown powder, which has been a staple.

I didn't have neutral-smokey shades before (The Parisienne is more jewel-toned, I'd say) and I'm really happy with The Engima. The glittery bronze (shade 6) is absolutely stunning; I like to use that one all over the lid for a really fun take on neutral (that's one of the looks coming up). This exaggerated wing is a little more artsy than I normally go for, but it's fun to play around with a palette and see what you can come up with. What kind of looks have you been experimenting with, lately?