Monday, February 2, 2015

Review: Shiseido GD804 "Opera" Trio

[Product was purchased by me.]
The gold shimmer in the khaki and baby blue shades make me swooooon.

Look! A full-fledged review! This may be months after I purchased it (er, perhaps even a year), but hey, it's here now! I have to thank Belly, who did a gorgeous review on the THREE 02 Blue Heaven palette, which has really similar colors. I don't like hard quests, so I don't search for all the elusive, magical Japanese beauty palettes, but although Shiseido is also a Japanese brand, it's widely available, and this GD804 Opera trio is be-yoo-tiful. Plus I have all the feels for Shiseido's eye shadow trios, so I make like a Pokemon trainer with 'em. (Previously reviewed: RD299, BE213, VI308, YE406, OR316)
Hard to capture the baby blue accurately. It's not chalky, though it seems like it here.

That baby blue, you guys. I know a lot of people often approach Shiseido palettes with trepidation, because the color combinations seem unusual, but I like the variety of shades and the texture of the shadows is so easy to work with - soft and almost creamy. With this one, I can use all three (baby blue on inner lid, olive in outer crease, gold in the middle and to blend everything together - this is the combo I used in the FOTD shot below), or just pair off either light shade with the olive. Or mix and match with other shadows, of course. The olive looks amazing layered over Laura Mercier's Khaki Caviar Stick, for example.
Shiseido GD804 on lids (no primer), with Smashbox Limitless Liquid Liner and Clinique High Impact Curling mascara

The trios run $33 USD. I find this one to be particularly versatile because of the more neutral gold and olive shades, which are really very beautiful and add depth to a look. For more inspiration, see Dick Page's color story here.