Monday, February 9, 2015

FOTD: A "Light" Navy Smokey Look

[Products marked * were received as Sephora Beauty Insider reward perks; everything else was purchased by me.]

I read a lot of food blogs, and for every comfort food recipe out there, there is a "light" version, touted as all the same pleasures with half the guilt.

Yeah, in case you haven't noticed yet, a lot of things around here are about food.

But it all ties in! I am legit this time and not just spouting off about cookies. I wanted to do a navy smokey eye (like this), but I didn't want to do all that blending, and I also wanted something less "heavy-breathing-date-night." So I skipped the primer (sticky, sticky --> all the furious blendings) and used theBalm Risqué Renee wet all over the lid, and then dry to blend it out. I also fluffed a pale, peachy pink (theBalm Luscious Lani) over the inner corner/middle of the lid, to add a bit of sheen and blend the navy more seamlessly into my skin.  
I need to knit myself more hats. 
I really liked the effect of using a pearly pale pink rather than the usual gray-brown nude, and I did it again in another smokey look that's coming up soon. The result is something a little more translucent - the "light" version of a smokey eye, if you will.
TheBalm Shady Lady Vol.1, the palette I used for this look - just two shades, Risqué Renee and Luscious Lani.
I added mascara and liquid liner to emphasize the eyes (L'Oreal Voluminous Power Volume 24H, Smashbox Limitless Liquid Liner), but to keep everything else light, I only used bronzer (Too Faced Chocolate Soleil*) all over and a opted for a glossy, barely-there pink lip (Dior Addict Gloss in Enchanted Rose).

I've been favoring a sheer, glossy lip, lately. I want to pick up the Mylord Dior Addict Gloss from the Spring 2015 collection, since it's a dusty mauve rose that I don't have, but I haven't really been in the mood to shop, lately, so we'll see if it's still around in a few months.

Smokey eyes + sheer glossy lips is a favorite date night standard of mine, because wiping off gloss before I eat doesn't leave uneven stains on my lips and the overall look still packs drama. There is at least one more smokey eye look coming up on the blog. What are some of your favorite date night looks?