Sunday, January 4, 2015

Unlikely Inspiration: A Smile for 2015

Taylor Swift: Shake It Off.

I know, I know. I've been quite vocal about my bafflement over Swifty's popularity, but this video and more recent press coverage of her coincides with my 2015 goal for myself, so it's sweetly ironic. 1989 (although I haven't purchased it yet) seems to suggest that Swifty is finally learning to laugh at herself, and at her haters. So I've resolved to stop being a hater.

We are each on a personal, ongoing journey and come from different places and cultures and circumstances, and I've decided that in 2015, I want to stop being so critical and to think before I speak. I don't want to linger on mean-spirited thoughts or slights. In general, despite my snarky nature, I already tend to be optimistic and I don't beat myself up over regrets, but I sometimes do get bogged down in criticisms of others, and it's not fair to them and makes me feel petty. I don't want to be that person.

That doesn't mean I'm going to stop critical thinking and presenting both sides of a story - that's an entirely different thing, and still very important to me. I am also not trying to be holier-than-thou. I'm still going to be snarky and poke fun at things and people. It's just - well, I say mean things sometimes, and I don't wanna be a mean girl any more. Let's just have fun, shall we?

Happy new year. Beauty posts resume soon. Thanks for reading and for being awesome, thoughtful people who contribute to an engaging community. We are all awesome. 

Cheese, out. Enjoy your pizza.