Friday, September 12, 2014

Scents of the Week: Aug. 31 - Sept. 6

[Products * were received from friends.]

Don't worry, I'm out of samples, so this will be the last one for a while. (Until I obtain more samples, and become overwhelmed again.)

Sunday: Tocca Liliana (sample)
notes: Italian Bergamot, Neroli, Watery Peach, Muguet, Gardenia, White Peony, Sandalwood, Musk, Benzoin, Patchouli. 
[source]
There's that "watery fruit" thing again. Watery fruits aren't tasty, Tocca. It's kind of a generic "bright" fruity floral with musk. Oddly bubbly peach, itchy musk, candy center. This one is a bit more impactful and longer lasting than Graciella, but I like Graciella better.

Monday: Atelier Cologne Oolang Infini (travel spray)
notes: Bergamot, Tunisian Neroli, Oolang Tea, Jasmine Petals, Blond Leather, Tobacco Flower, Gaiac Wood, Haitian Vetiver. 
[source]
What is blue tea? The description on Sephora's site says "blue tea." That aside, I quite like this one, despite its lack of longevity. It's a brighter tea scent, being oolong rather than black tea - bright without any really bossy citrus.  Oolang Infini retains that unmistakeable Atelier Cologne base, but it seems more harmonious here than in some others from the line, as if it's a natural evolution of the tea note. It's not really warm or mysterious on me (as it is supposed to be), and I wish the tea lasted longer.

Tuesday: Diptyque Volutes EdT (sample)
notes: honeyed Egyptian tobacco, styrax, leather.
[source]
I have reviewed the EdP, but this is a case where they are quite different. The EdT, to my nose, is brighter and lingers in the green-iris phase, with more of a leather base; the smokey, sweet drydown of the EdP is just barely there, and smells almost vinyl-like to me here. If you are contemplating one, it may be worth trying to smell the other one before you commit. For example, Paris likes the EdT, I prefer the EdP.

Wednesday: L'Artisan La Chasse aux Papillons Extreme edp (sample)
notes: Linden blossom, lemon tree blossom, orange blossom, jasmine, tuberose
[source]
I think I bought the "extreme" version when I wanted the regular, for some reason that I can't recall. This one is a pretty jasmine/tuberose scent - light and lifted, delicate and girly, like the butterflies of its name. Slightly sweet in the beginning, but ultimately quite a nice white floral...that disappears too quickly. I think I will give the regular version a shot - I am a sucker for linden blossom.

Thursday: L'Artisan Piment Brûlant edp (sample)*
notes: Red pepper, soft and creamy chocolate, vanilla, cloves and poppy, hints of musk and amber.
[source]
This one comes to me by way of Amy, because I would never choose something that has chocolate in it, ha. I dabbed some on, and uh. It smells like bell pepper. And chocolatey amber. And gross. As S. so eloquently put it, "Who thought that would smell good?" (I made him smell it without telling him what it was, and I got a very carefully noncommittal "Um" in response. Then I told him it was bell pepper and chocolate and gross. He was relieved.) It's definitely an interesting scent, and I can't fault it for my discriminatory tastes, but nope, not for me.

Friday: Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur (sample)*
notes: bergamot, tangerine, cinnamon, vanilla, musk, amber
[source]
I think that Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black actually smells a lot like this, although that one is muddier and softer. Musc Ravageur has a pronounced amber note (I'm not big on amber), so while I like the rest of it, spicy sweet, I will keep my money, thanks. (It's always a victory when I get to keep my money).

Saturday: Dior J'Adore (sample)*
notes: Ylang-Ylang Essence, Damascena Rose Essence, Sambac Jasmine Absolute. 
[source]
Violet. So much violet. I got the faintest whiff of jasmine sambac at the very beginning, but I found J'adore quite straightforwardly sweet blackberry-violet on me, and I do not like it. I can understand why it's popular, but Dior fragrances and I rarely get along - this is no different. And holy smokes, is it tenacious. You will smell like J'Adore forever. Which is fine, if bold, juicy fruity florals are your thing...but that is not the case for me.

I am now actually out of samples. Such a relief. I'm also excited because fall is coming, and even though I hate cold weather, I love cold weather scents. These spritzy things of summer have had their time in the sun. What scents are you looking forward to wearing as the weather changes?