Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Maybelline Creamy Matte in Divine Wine and a Day to Night Look

[All products were purchased by me, except * which were gifts from friends.]
This is my rendition of the "natural" day look, which still, of course, requires twelve products, and careful control. Can't go overboard with application or else people will know I'm wearing twelve things. (Actually, I don't really care, but that would defeat the purpose of the "natural" look). As much as I love creative expressions of bright color, I do also quite like this kind of thing, actually.

(I know a cat eye isn't "natural", but I hate mascara so...something. And I probably should have put on some sort of lip color, but finding the right nude/mlbb is tricksy. And I'm not that kind of hobbit).

Makeup worn:
MAC Lingering + MAC Brow Finisher
Garnier BB Cream Miracle Skin Perfector Eye Roll-On* (light/medium)
Eyeko Alexa Chung Lash Enhancing Eye Do Eyeliner
Laura Mercier Rose Gold Caviar Stick
Bare Minerals Power Neutrals 8.0 palette
MAC Mineralize Concealer (NC20)
Armani Sun Fabric Bronzer 400
Illamasqua Zygomatic + Tarte Stellar*
MAC Whisper of Gilt
Epic Blend lip balm, unflavored

I never really do the whole "day-to-night" transformation because I don't work an office job, and don't go straight out for nights on the town. Gotta come home and feed the dogs at least, so there is no dashing about on trains to clubs and swanky dinner soirees. But, even though I stop at home, I don't necessarily want to put on an entirely different set of makeup, either.

So let's just put on lipstick, shall we? This is Maybelline's new Creamy Matte Colorsensational in Divine Wine. I wish it were a touch more purple and a touch less red, but it's nevertheless a great fall color, and more nuanced than a straight-up red (crazy flag, again). It was $5.49 at Target.
It's not as initially matte as some formulas, but after about half an hour, you've got matte. And this interesting faint blue sheen, which you can see above. It's a bit heavier on lips than the other Colorsensational lipsticks that I've tried, but still comfortable. It gets a bit drying as time goes on, but I think that is par for the course for matte lipsticks. Divine Wine has that same faux-vanilla scent as the rest of the line; I find it's only present upon application.
I probably could have added a touch more blush, but eh.
I really like it, but then, I love mattes and dark shades. I saw a full display of ten at Target, but Lust for Blush (the other one I was thinking about) was sold out - dude. Apparently more people read blogs than I thought. Daringly Nude might also be a nice one (for some reason I've been wanting something like MAC Velvet Teddy, even though it will probably look like death on me). 

Have you spotted these yet? Are you going to go matte for fall? How do you go from day to night?