Sunday, August 3, 2014

You Need This Budget-Friendly Beauty: Maybelline Vivid Rose

[Product was purchased by me. * was a gift from a friend and ** was part of a Sephora VIB perk.]
Wearing Maybelline Colorsensational Vivid Rose. Apologies for the lighting - still trying to figure out the new place.
I've seen this lipstick as low as $5.59 at various retailers (regular price), and drugstore items often go on sale, so this is really a steal. This is a Maybelline Colorsensational lipstick and part of the "Vivids" line; it is one of two that I purchased (the other is Electric Orange, which I will review at some point).
I saw it appear more coral on other bloggers, but it's definitely a bright, cool fuchsia on me, and I absolutely love it. It's more of a "jelly" lipstick-balm type finish than a cream finish, which is what I prefer. It's a little heavier on the lips than say, Dior Addict Extreme Lucky, but the texture feels surprisingly similar - these Vivids are good.
L-R: Maybelline Vivid Rose, Dior Addict Extreme Lucky*, NARS Carthage, Marcelle Cleopatra, Dior Addict Diorkiss**. Vivid Rose is glossier and less white-based than NARS Carthage (which is a Pure Matte), more opaque than either Dior, and brighter and more blue than Marcelle Cleopatra.

It has a faint vanilla scent - but it's more dessert-esque than the MAC "vanilla" (which I really kind of dislike, to be honest) and not long lasting; I can't detect any taste. The color lasts a few hours (and I drink a lot of water) and never dries out my lips.
Other makeup: Estee Lauder BB Glow 02 Intensity, Sonia Kashuk illuminator, Senna Cosmetics Tr√®s Jolie*, Armani Sun Fabric Bronzer in 400, MAC Spiked, Shiseido Beach GrassLaura Mercier AmethystShu Uemura Calligraphy Ink, Clinique High Impact Curling Mascara, Bobbi Brown Corrector in Peach.
I also like to wear it over a light layer of balm (like Epic Blend) for a juice-stained look. It's pretty much perfect, and costs less than lunch. If you want to dabble in brights (I wasn't so sure about blast-in-your-face-neon-fuchsia, myself), this is a great way to explore - the formula is stellar, especially for something under $10.