Monday, August 25, 2014

Scents of the Week: Aug. 17 - 23

I thought a scent journal could be fun, in a "hey I don't have to take any photos!" kind of way.

(ahem. Laziness. It's a thing.)

And I also actually wore different fragrances this week, instead of the same old, same old. I've been poking through my samples, trying to weed out the ones that make me want to cry and the mediocre ones and the ones I need to add to the "want to but desperately must not buy" list. The perfume box is full, so necessity dictates I clean.

Sunday: sample of L'Artisan Parfumeur Nuit de Tubérose
notes: spices, tuberose, woods (so specific, L'Artisan!)
[source]
It starts off as all this loud tuberose that reminds me of school dances back in Hawaii (you buy the dude a lei. He smells like this all night. Manly.) and then the flowers die, and it dries down into this spicy mango that reminds me of ginger candy/beer/soda. Or that Japanese cola hard candy. It brought to mind Sweet Anthem Juliet (pikake mango tobacco) but that is not as spicy and more flower-focused. They're different enough. I think I like both.

Monday: sample of Hanae Mori Butterfly EdT
notes: strawberries, bilberries, black currant, Bulgarian Rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang, sandalwood, almond, praline
[source]
For some reason, my hand gravitated toward my sample of this. Apparently I was feeling like a fluffy cloud princess. Seriously. Strawberry, almond-cotton-candy = fluffy cloud princess. I can't take myself seriously wearing this, but sometimes I don't hate it. I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy some, though. (Also, what the hell is a bilberry?)

Tuesday: sample of Diptyque Eau Duelle EdP
notes: Cardamom, Asian cyprus, elemi, juniper, saffron, calamus, black tea, black African olibanum, amber, Firnat Vanilla, Bourbon Vanilla, white musk
[source]
S.: "You smell good."
Me: "Oh yeah?"
S.: "Yeah."
Me: "That's good. It's Diptyque Eau Duelle EdP and costs $140." *beams*
S.: "I see. Oh-...what?"

Yes, I'm shameless. But that tactic got me Prada Candy, so there. Eau Duelle starts off with a burst of green - some kinda tree smell - and then settles down into a deliciously vanilla, spicy tea element that I absolutely adore. It's light and not cloying, and lingers close to the skin for hours. It is less spritzy than Jo Malone Vanilla Anise, but in the same vein - vanilla with a twist. Between this and Volutes, I think I am more often in the mood for Eau Duelle, but - *wrings hands* - can I still have both?

Wednesday: Firebird Bath and Body Black Tea and Mint perfume oil (sample)
notes: black tea, citrus, mint

I absolutely adore this scent, but I wish it came in an EdP, and full sized bottles I had from this shop sort of went off, so I'm loathe to buy another one. It's quite strong, equal parts peppermint and black tea, and I really, really like it. If you know of any minty black tea fragrances, let me know!

Thursday: I had a bout of allergies and flailed and wore no perfume.

Friday: Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine + Vanille Insensée
Also, if they didn't want you to smell like creamsicles, why would they sell this as a duo?
[source]
Spray Vanille Insensée first, then Orange Sanguine: this combo smells like orange creamsicles. Grown-up orange creamsicles. Sophisticated ones. (Okay, I lied, sophisticated orange creamsicles don't sound like a thing.) I didn't love Atelier Cologne's base dry down at first, but it's growing on me. And everybody likes creamsicles.

Saturday: L'Occitane Thé Vert & Bigarade EdT
notes: "sparkling citrus notes in an accord of sweet and bitter orange, with an aromatic base of green tea"
[source]
One of those bracing, sharp, citrusy scents that cuts through summer heat like a scythe. It almost has that earthy green tea note that I have been searching for everywhere, but really it's just a refreshing summer splash of ambiguous "citrus" and "green tea." Pleasantly inoffensive, though, and lasts longer on me than most L'Occitane potions.

Well. That was fun. In retrospect, I think I could do without Nuit de Tubérose and it's $120 price tag, but not without Diptyque Eau Duelle. My sample is almost gone, or I would spray it liberally and convince S. that it would make an excellent anniversary/birthday/Labor Day/some-upcoming-holiday present.

What fragrances have you been wearing lately? Would you be interested in more blurb-type scent journals?