Thursday, June 5, 2014

Sonia Kashuk Perfecting Translucent Illuminator: Glow On

[Product purchased by me. Other products used in the FOTD marked * were gifts from friends.]

I was looking for a liquid luminizer, because I think they're pretty versatile - you can pump a little bit into your moisturizer or liquid foundation, or apply it on concentrated areas like you would a powder highlighter (I know you can dust a powder highlighter liberally all over the face, too, but mine are a bit frosty for that kind of application). This one had some pretty good reviews, and it was $15 (0.6 oz).

The tube is hard plastic, and it has a pump that is easy to control. You have to shake pretty vigorously, or it does separate. It's a peachy champagne - on the warmer side, but not too frosty. I like to pump a little bit on the back of my hand and then dab my finger into it and apply it that way, along cheekbones, forehead, cupid's bow, etc. (I think a stippling brush like MAC's 188 would also work). I've done this both over and under foundation (powder, CC cream, liquid). The effect is subtle but the difference is noticeable, and I quite like it.
Both are pretty heavy swatches, to get a sense of the color and dense shimmer. It is slightly peachier than it appears here.

I've also tried mixing some into foundation and I don't think I love that method quite as much on my dry skin; it kind of emphasizes the Sahara desert of my forehead. More selective placement is necessary. I think if you don't have that issue, though, it's probably fine, though I would be careful so that it doesn't get too frosty/metallic.
Lipstick: Shu Uemura Bright Orange*.
Here, I've applied it by dabbing some along cheekbones, nose, and forehead, under powder foundation (Dior). It gives skin a nice glow without being obvious (the rest of the makeup is from this photo). It fills the spot in my daily tray nicely! I might still look for another, subtler (maybe more opal colored) illuminator to mix into foundation, though. Any recommendations?

ingredients: water, isohexadecane, dimethicone, nylon-12, talc, glycerin, IPDI/DI-C12-13 alkyl tartrate/bishydroxyethoxypropyl dimethicone copolymer, trisiloxane, isododecane, squalane, sorbitan isostearate, cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 dimethicone, synthetoc beeswax, tetrasodium EDTA, phenoxyethanol, sodium chloride, disteardimonium hectorite, alcohol, potassium sorbate, silica dimethyl silyate, PEG-30 dipolyhydroxystearate, propylene carbonate, mannitol, DI-C12-13 alkyl tartrate, cyclodextrin, glycogen, arctostaphylos uva ursi leaf extract, tocopherol, rubus idaeus leaf cell culture, [+/-] mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, zinc oxides