Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Makeup Bag: Off to a Wedding

[Products were purchased by me except *, which were gifts from a friend, and **, which were samples/GWP/Sephora perks.]

Next week we're off to see S.'s brother get married, in western PA. The weather is much more humid than we're used to, and pretty hot. I want simple basics because we aim to do some relaxing, but I also need to pack some fancy makeup for the wedding. I do like to keep things as simple and pared down as possible when I travel, and we'll only be gone for five days. Here's what I'm taking.

lips: Shu Uemura CR 30 gloss mini, Epic Blend balm*, YSL Kiss and Blush 04 Orange Fougueux (doubles as blush!), Dior Trafalgar, Dior clear liner (I may take another lipstick...if I figure out what I want to wear with the dress I'm wearing to the wedding.)

cheeks: Clarins 02 Candy*, Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Medium/Deep Matte Bronzer**; I may decide to leave the bronzer out - haven't decided yet.

eyes: Smashbox Limitless Liquid Liner in Jet Black, NARS Smudge-Proof Eye Shadow Base, YSL Couture Palette 03 Afrique (review upcoming), Clinique High Impact Curling mascara, Bobbi Brown corrector in Peach (for undereyes).

brows: MAC Brow Finisher, MAC Spiked (I haven't pictured tools, but I definitely am taking a spoolie as well).

face: Diorskin Nude Compact in Medium Beige, Maybelline Age Rewind concealer (I like to dab this on to cover redness along my jawline), Laura Mercier Rose Rendezvous* - good for highlighting.

skincare: Shiseido Ibuki eye cream (not pictured), Neutrogena Pure & Free Liquid sunscreen, mini Shu Uemura cleansing oil, Shiseido White Lucent Brightening Emulsion (AM and PM), Shiseido White Lucent Cleansing Foam. These are great Shiseido travel minis that I got as a GWP from Macy's a few months ago. We'll also take along a Neutrogena body sunscreen, as well.

perfume: I haven't decided yet if I want to take any; if I do, it will probably be a solid (like Sweet Anthem Fox or Lizie, or a mini travel spray like Atelier Cologne Oolang Infini. The solids sound like less potential mess, though, so I'll probably opt for one of those.

I am taking a mini EcoTools eye brush set and the EcoTools retractable kabuki brush for the Dior powder, a Sephora contour brush for blush, and a Sonia Kashuk brush for the other face products. Rounding out the tools are a lash curler (Shiseido) and a pair of tweezers. I don't necessarily like missing brushes I use daily, but I also hate having so much stuff when I travel - and I like to keep busy when we travel, so there just isn't time for faffing around with extra brushes and colors, anyway. The goal is also to have short hair by the time we leave, which I am so looking forward to.
YSL 03 Afrique palette on eyes (all the colors!), finished with Smashbox Limitless liner. Base makeup is Origins CC Cream in Light over Hourglass No. 28 primer, with Sonia Kashuk Illuminator dabbed on to highlight. Lips and cheeks are both YSL 04 Orange Fougueux.
Lastly: YSL Kiss and Blush in 04 Orange Fougueux on lips and cheeks. I just bought it and am kind of confused about it. I tried it on in store and liked it, then tried it on today at home and disliked it, then kept wearing (and reapplying) it throughout today and I like it again. I'm taking it because it's a multi-tasker, and I figure by the time I come back I should have formed some coherent thoughts to put together a review.

Posting may be slow for the next week and a half or so - we'll be traveling, and I find it hard to write about makeup when it's nice outside, and I've gotten over the worst of the cold (thanks for all of your well wishes!).

For a coral dress, what lipstick would you wear? (It's kind of eye-searingly bright. And lacy. I'm only taking the one eye palette, too.) What guidelines do you set for yourself when you pack a travel bag?