Monday, June 30, 2014

It's a Bird, It's a Plane...It's a YSL Lip-Cheek Stain!

[Product was purchased by me.]

I wanted to say thank you to everyone for all of the thoughtful and honest comments on my last post. I didn't even touch a computer while we were on vacation, but I did read all of them in my inbox, and I will be replying to comments soon. 

Now, on to lighter fare. I mentioned in my travel bag post that I had picked up a new YSL Baby Doll Kiss & Blush in 04 Orange Fougueux (because, orange).

It's advertised as a "mousse formula" that "highlights lips and cheeks with a sensual, soft matte finish." I would say that this is pretty accurate, and to me, it's definitely a lip and cheek stain, not a liquid lipstick. Other bloggers have said that it's similar to the Shu Uemura Gelato Tints (and that they have similar ingredients), but I don't have any of those.

The Kiss & Blush definitely has that soft, silicone feel (dimethicone is the first ingredient, natch), which is a little weird on lips. It feels like it doesn't really set, but it doesn't actually move around too much on lips - color doesn't migrate or feather or end up around your mouth in that ugly ring. It does sink into lip lines more than I'd like, and it's kind of flat looking, since it is a "soft matte." If you want to build up the color, I've found it's best to put on a thin layer, wait a few moments, and repeat 2-3 more times to get a more saturated color. It can pill up a bit on lips, but it doesn't emphasize dry lips and it's not drying. More traditional lip stains are always really, really drying to me, and this is not the case. Even Becca's Beach Tints are oily and drying on lips. 
04 Orange Fougueux on lips. This shade is yellow-based, so it can make teeth look extra yellow...fair warning.
On cheeks, it's actually quite lovely - a nice soft focus effect that never looks clownish. Very "of course this is my natural flush." (*bats eyes*)
Wearing 04 Orange Fougueux on lips and cheeks. I finally got my hair cut! We also dyed the top parts back to my natural color...I'm pretty pleased. This is my go-to style; the longer hair was an experiment. Because, science, you know.


I like that it's a multi-tasker and that I can have a soft color on my lips without tons of shine or gloss (even though I do like lip gloss), because sometimes you want a matte finish. The applicator is a cushioned, tapered doe foot, and works well for dotting product on cheeks or spreading product on lips (although it's hard to keep a well-defined cupid's bow).
On eyes: YSL Couture Palette 03 Afrique over Laura Mercier Caviar Stick in Sandglow.

So, is there a bottom line? Erm. I do personally like a non-drying lip stain that has a matte (rather than juice-stained) finish, and though the texture is a little weird, it's not terribly bothersome to me. I also liked one of the other colors (11 Prune Impertinente) so I could see myself picking up that one, because these do work on both lips and cheeks, unlike other products that propose to be multi-taskers. But Tracy didn't like the Shu Uemura ones on lips at all, so you may want to play around with one in store before you buy.

Ingredients: dimethicone, bis-diglyceryl polyacyladipate-2, diisostearyl malate, dimethicone crosspolymer, hydrogenated polyisobutene, phenyl trimethicone, kaolin, HDI/trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, isostearyl isostearate, polyethylene, vinyl dimethicone/methicone silsequioxane crosspolymer, nylon-12, pentylene glycol, caprylyl glycol, ethylhexylglycerin, alumina, silica, calcium sodium borosilicate, synthetic fluorphlogopite, calcium aluminum borosilicate, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, magnesium silicate, tin oxide, parfum/fragrance. 
[+/-]: mica, CI 77891/titanium dioxide, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499/iron oxides, CI 15850/red 7, CI 45410 /red 28 lake, CI 15985/yellow 6 lake, CI 45380/red 22 lake, CI 15850/ red 6, CI 15850/red 7 lake, CI 19140/yellow 5 lake, CI 42090/blue 1 lake, CI 75470/carmine.