Friday, April 4, 2014

YSL Red Agate: A New Cream Blush Love

[I bought this item with my own monies.]
YSL 08 Red Agate.
I really like YSL's creme de blush formula, which is marketed as "cream-to-powder." I use a MAC Stippling brush (188) because it's a really soft texture that is easy to pick up on the long, thin duo-fibre brush. I've been used to cream blushes that are less intense in color and really having to stipple color onto cheeks, so the first time I used this, it was a disaster. For Red Agate, I only need the slightest hint of color on the white part of the brush. The color is a beautiful, warm, natural flush - completely shimmer free.
Single swipe. Yep, it's that pigmented. 



As cream blushes go, this one is more mousse-like in texture. If you stuck a finger in it, it would leave a very visible "smoosh," (like sticking your finger in soft buttercream frosting - don't lie, I know you've done it) versus the little dents you would get if you stuck a finger in a harder blush like the limited edition Diors (I know I previously said that YSL and Dior cream blushes were similar, but the YSL is easier to blend out). I don't notice any fading by the end of the day, but I don't usually have problems with blush fading or disappearing.
Wearing YSL 08 Red Agate on cheeks (with some highlighter)

I've been pairing it with red and orange-red lipsticks and glosses, and it's completely gorgeous. For me, with my current coloring (and red hair), it's a more flattering shade than most pinks.

 At $38, it's definitely on the pricey end, but it's easy to blend out. The packaging is also hefty and luxe. I know YSL has those fancy lip/cheek things out now, but my attention still gravitates toward these.

For more (and to see Red Agate on different folks): Tracy reviewed Red Agate here, and Rae reviewed it here. For brighter shades, see Emma's favorites.

ingredients: cyclopentasiloxane, hydrogenated polyisobutene, dimethicone, octyldodecanol, hdi/trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, polyethylene, dimethicone crosspolymer, nylon-12, talc, alumina, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, dimethiconol, silica, parfum/fragrance, tocopheryl acetate, caprylyl glycol, triethoxycaprylylsilane, rosmarinus officnalis (rosemary) extract, benzyl alochol, linalool. [+/-]: CI 77891/ titanium dioxide, mica, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499/ iron oxides, CI 15850/ red 7 lake, CI 19140 / yellow 5 lake, CI 45410 / red 28 lake, CI 15895 / yellow 6 lake, CI 15850 / red 7.