Friday, April 18, 2014

Dior Diorskin Nude Compact Medium Beige 030

[Product was purchased by me.]

I still haven't gone back to wearing foundation daily (a few months ago, I just stopped...all of my liquid foundations were feeling heavy and I wasn't liking the finish anymore), but recent skin issues made me want to dabble in foundations again. I used to love powder foundations, so I thought perhaps I'd give that a go again. After reading Lena's review (very convincing, it was), I opted for Dior's Diorskin Nude Compact in 030 Medium Beige. 

The compact is hefty and pretty (closes solidly with a nice click), and it comes with both a sponge applicator and a brush. The brush is flat and decent, but I rarely use it - I opt for a kabuki (Ecotools).

The box claims: "Dior Foundation Nude, 1st Dior foundation specially enriched with naturally derived skincare ingredients for a complexion that is even more "nude" and sublime in all types of lighting. Skin becomes more beautiful and radiant day after day."

The formula is supposed to offer skincare benefits over time, as well as light-medium (depending on whether you use a brush or the sponge) coverage. I certainly don't expect my foundation to substitute for skincare or anything like that, but I'm not going to object to a boost (even if the ingredients that are supposed to contribute to skincare are toward the bottom of the list).
Ack, I guess it's hard to tell here. I could tell the difference in pictures, but maybe I just stared at them too long and too hard. This is right after application - the powder does warm up after 5-10 minutes (so after I've finished applying everything else - eyes, cheeks, lips) it will match my skintone a little better.
What I am interested in is the coverage - and it's lovely. It's just enough to even out skintone and give my face a soft glow - it makes skin look alive, you know? Less dull, less patchy. I need undereye corrector and concealer to hide really dark spots, but I'm happy dusting this all over my face and standing in front of a crowded lecture hall (~300 students). It goes on a little pale and powdery at first, but warms up in a few minutes.
Wearing Diorskin Nude Compact Medium Beige 030 all over as foundation.

Powder isn't very forgiving on texture, so if you are experiencing #dryskinwoes, this isn't the best route. I think a well-moisturized face makes a huge difference (but that's the case with most foundations); I also often finish with MAC Fix+ to bring some life back into my face, if necessary. This one is a winner, though. I've been alternating this with the other foundation I've been trying (Shiseido's Sheer and Perfect - will bring that one to you in a few).

Are you a powder foundation girl? Do you use powder just for touch-ups?

Ingredients: talc, mica, boron nitride, synthetic fluorphlogopite, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, diphenyl dimethicone/vinyl diphenyl dimethicone/silsequioxane crosspolymer, nylon-12, phenyl trimethicone, magnesium myristate, titanium dioxide, acrylates/stearyl acryalate/dimethicone methacrylate copolymer, silica, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, aqua (water), dimethicone, pentylene glycol, sodium dehyroacetate, lauroyl lysine, caprylyl glycol, dimethicone/methicone copolymer, BHT, sericin, phenoxyethanol, sodium myristoyl glutamate, glycerin, hibiscus sabdariffa flower extract, rhodochrosite extract, malva sylvestris (mallow) extract, hydrolyzed linseed extract, balanites roxburghii seed oil, alumnium hydroxide, citric acid, potassium sorbate, sorbic acid, ajuga turkestanica extract.
[+/- CI 77007 (ultramarines), CI 77163 (bismuth oxychloride), CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 (iron oxides), CI 77891 (titanium dioxide)].