Sunday, March 30, 2014

Ok, Purples, You Aren't So Bad: Shiseido VI308 Trio

[Product purchased by me.]

By now it may be fairly obvious that I am, erm, possibly collecting Shiseido trios. I was getting matched for foundation (review soon), and the SA and I had a lot of fun exploring other products; it was a slow Tuesday so I think I provided entertainment, and I ended up getting essentially a full makeover.
Swatches (with finger, on bare skin). I was initially worried that they would all be too similar. The last two are quite close, but on lids they serve different purposes - the leftmost shade is much darker and allows you to smoke out eyes without packing on the shadow.

I wanted to try purple on eyes, because I'm a chicken and purple is the color I avoid the most (well, and red). The SA convinced me that even though the trio is just purple, I could mix and match other shades in and make it versatile. The various purples in the trio are gorgeous with browns, golds and pinks.
All the sparkles.
I wanted to show a look just with the three purples in the VI308 trio, though, because they do work together, and make a pretty easy violet smokey eye. Just work your way down the line. I want to mention that I don't find crease brushes effective with Shiseido shadows. They muddy the color and don't apply it evenly. I have the most success with flat shadow brushes like the RT Base Shadow brush; if you notice, Shiseido eye brushes are also paddle-shaped.

For this look, I just used the RT Base Shadow brush. I patted the middle violet shade on the center of the lid. I flipped to the other side of the brush and with sweeping motions, applied the lavender shade to the inner third. Then, patting again, I lightly applied the darkest purple to the outer third.

Other products used:
Shiseido Sheer and Perfect Foundation O20
Bobbi Brown Corrector in Peach
MAC Strut
NARS Smudge-Proof Eye Shadow Base
Tarte Stellar*
Laura Mercier Rose Rendezvous
Sephora High Precision Liquid Liner
Clinique High Impact Curling Mascara

Sooo. How do you feel about purple? Is there a color that you usually avoid?