Sunday, March 9, 2014

A Mask-ed Ball!

It's time to talk about skincare again.

These are some of the masks that I've been rotating recently. I try to do one every week or so, and pick one according to how I'm feeling about my skin at the time. (I also use the Ole Henriksen Blue/Black Berry Enzyme mask, reviewed here). I'll do a brief bit about the others here; each of these is meant for all skin types, I think.

To soothe irritations: The First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Instant Oatmeal Mask is a quick, easy mask that I use to calm itching or irritations. It's chunky and pretty much feels like smoothing congealed oatmeal and lotion on your face, but it works and I like it. I slather generous amounts on clean skin and then wash off.

To detox and clear pores: I tried a sample of the Origins Clear Improvement Active Charcoal mask (as a Sephora 100 point perk), which was enough for about 4-5 uses. It's thick and feels like gray acrylic paint going on (and smells like it, bleh), but I do think it works, and I like it. It tightens and dries in about 5-10 minutes, and then washes off readily. Skin feels tighter and refreshed afterward. I have a full size on its way to me right now!

The other detox mask I have is the Osmia Organics Detox Exfoliating Mask; it came with the little mortar and spatula you see here. It tightens quickly and dries to a stiff mask that washes off, and smells of chocolate (it contains clay, cacao, charcoal, and black walnut hull powder for exfoliation). I'll be honest and tell you that I'm not really into mixing things myself -  it's an extra step and makes me less likely to pull it out on a hectic weekday night. I understand that keeping it dry reduces the need for preservatives, so I suppose it's up to you which you prefer. There is some versatility in mixing it yourself (thinner, thicker), and it seems to work, but I'm not particularly enamored of it. (I only use a tsp per mask - 2 tsp is a lot).

To combat dullness: I got a mini version of the Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel (Sensitive version) with a trial kit I purchased from Amazon. It spreads easily on clean skin, and doesn't particularly tingle or sting. I wash it off after ten minutes, and it may just be wishful thinking, but I do think it brings a bit of a glow to my face. I'll pick up a full sized jar when I run out of this, too, but I think even the little pot will take me quite a while.

What are your favorite masks? Do you find the ritual relaxing, or do you scramble to make time for it?