Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The "Daily Tray:" A Morning Time-Saver

[Most products were purchased by me; those marked with a * were gifts from a friend, and ** were received from PR.]

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I figured since it's the new year and we're all trying to be organized and get our lives together, I'd share one of my tricks to getting ready in the morning: a daily makeup tray. I bought one of these a while ago - so long ago that I don't even remember where or when or why. BUT. At some point I decided to throw all of my "daily staples" in it, and basically, that's how I operate in the morning. I take this tray and my cup of brushes to the bathroom, slather on some things, and turn to more important matters - like breakfast.

I don't use everything in here every day, but I use 'em most days. Or I alternate. Or whatever. Here's what I've got:

- travel-sized MAC Fix+: Use to spray my face before applying foundation - keeps coverage lighter and thinner and prevents it from caking up.
- NARS Tinted Moisturizer in Finland/ L'Oreal Magic Nude foundation: Don't use these daily, but I usually keep some kind of base in here for days when my skin needs help. I also keep a powder (right now: Annabelle BB Compact Makeup) to set undereye concealer.
- Bobbi Brown corrector in Peach, RMS "Un"Cover-Up in 11: Bobbi Brown is used solely for under eyes; the RMS concealer is used under eyes or on problem areas (I don't use both under eyes at the same time).
- Tarte pencil in Gold*, Laura Mercier Caviar Stick in Sandglow: I've been using shadow sticks as bases for the last few months. Works like a charm and it's so, so easy.
- MAC Whisper of Gilt: my go-to highlighter. I use it daily. It's gold rather than pink or white, so it's easy to use and doesn't look glaringly obvious or strange on my skin.
- Smashbox Limitless liquid liner, Tarte MultiplEye liner*, Sephora Long-Lasting Liner in Glitter Brown: I only use liquid liners. Smashbox's version lasts longer, but the tip is stiff and it's hard to draw thin, precise lines with it. Tarte's is pretty long-lasting and easier to work with, but not as inky black. When I want brown, I opt for Sephora's Glitter Brown. I quite like Sephora's liquid liners - they come in a lot of colors, last, and are budget-friendly.
- Clinique High Impact Curling mascara: Tubing mascara, the only kind I will use now. Not something I use every day, but I like having it handy, just in case.
- Clinique Teddy Bear quad (old version): I keep this in here for the ivory shade, which is a great brow highlight; the matte neutral shades are also nice and occasionally I just want to slap on something easy, so it's a good palette to keep in here.
-tweezers** (Mont Bleu): the only tool I keep in here rather than in the brush cup (curler is in the brush cup). Pretty essential.

The other things I rotate in are blush, bronzer and other eye shadows; I usually switch around some items at night for the next morning. I don't keep a lip product here because I don't always wear lipstick/gloss (usually I wear a balm that's tucked in my purse). Basically, if you have a makeup bag, that serves the same purpose, but I like having everything laid out - I don't have to dig around in a bag, and this is less overwhelming than staring at my entire stash every morning.

What are your tricks and tips for expediting the morning get-ready process? Do you have a daily tray?