Friday, January 24, 2014

Sibu Beauty Nourishing Facial Cream

[Product was provided by PR for review.]

My moisturizer requirements are pretty basic; I just want something that keeps my face, well, moisturized. I'm not prejudiced against a specific form - I'll use whatever suits me and my normal-dry skin. However, it is nice to find a moisturizing cream that also aims to provide additional skincare benefits, like "rejuvenating sun damaged skin" and "preserving healthy skin tone and texture." It's meant for all skin types.

I've been using Sibu Beauty's Nourishing Facial Cream in the mornings, and I quite like it. It comes in a pretty pump that dispenses just enough product each time. The star ingredient is sea buckthorn, a source of Omega 7 fatty acids (macadamia nuts are another source), which "creates the perfect barrier to moisturize, rejuvenate, repair and protect" (Sibu Beauty site). I was pleasantly surprised by Sibu's Omega 7 information page, which lists scientific journal citations for its claims (this isn't to say that everything is "proven," as many health trial studies are inconclusive, but it's nice to see legitimate science being cited). 

Since I've only been giving this a trial run, I can't tell you what the long-term effects might be, but I haven't experienced any breakouts, my skin feels supple to the touch post-application, and I'm not having as many issues with dry patches as I have in previous winters. It has a pleasant, subtle citrus scent and doesn't leave a greasy feel (though honestly, I don't touch my face that much); makeup also applies smoothly over it. I actually also like that it is SPF-free; I always apply a separate sunscreen and I don't really like "skincare beneficial" products that combine sunscreen, because it seems like a conflict of interest and purpose. That is simply my own personal preference, however, and your opinion may be different.

All in all, thumbs up from me. I know it's available on Beauty.com and the Sibu Beauty website, at $20.95 for 1 oz. The line seems simple, and claims to be suitable for all skin types. I'd be interested in hearing from folks with different skin needs about this moisturizer. And I'm also curious about the Hydrating Serum - love me a good serum. I do think I may explore the line further (they even have some nice package deals). They are Fair-Trade, cruelty-free and vegan, and made in the US.

ingredients: Water, Sea Buckthorn Seed Oil, Glycerin (Vegetable), Sodium Levulinate, Sodium Anisate, Polyglyceryl-10 Pentastearate, Behenyl Alcohol, Sodium Steroyl Lactylate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Olive Oil Unsaponifiables, Meadowfoam Seed Oil, Shea Butter, Sea Buckthorn Fruit Oil, Orange Essential Oil, Lemon Essential Oil, Aloe Barbadensis leaf juice powder, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Xanthan Gum, Panthenol, Sodium Phytate