Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Shiseido Color Bar Palette Pt I: Looks

[Products marked with a * were received as gifts from friends.]

I decided to shake things up a little and show you some looks from the palette first, since a demonstration of use is what helps me decide whether I want a product - and can make it work for me. The more in-depth review will be posted tomorrow.

I think it's a pretty versatile palette. You can use just the neutrals for worksafe looks, just the colors for fun variations, or mix the two for a playful twist on natural looks. I think the possibilities are pretty endless (although maybe we're missing an orange?) and I don't see myself getting bored with this.

For most of the looks, I used Tarte Gold* as a base for the upper lid and Laura Mercier Sandglow as a base for the lower lashline. In some cases, I used the LM Sugar Frost caviar stick instead on the top and bottom. I tried to make these into complete looks with liner (Tarte*, Smashbox or Sephora liquid liner) and mascara (Clinique High Impact Curling Mascara).

First: here's a traditional smokey eye look with the palette. You can see how pink-purple Soda shifts - it's pretty interesting! I actually think I should have used Champagne here, instead, but there you go.
Eyes: Tarte Gold pencil as a base; then Shiseido Color Bar Soda on the inner third, Noisette in the center, Liquorice in the crease. Placement of shadows is the same on the top and bottom lid. Other items used: MAC Brow pencil in Strut,* Tarte liquid liner*, Clinique High Impact Curling Mascara, L'Oreal Magic Nude 310 Light Ivory, Bobbi Brown corrector in Peach, MAC Fresh Honey, MAC Whisper of Gilt, Bite Beauty Fiano lipstick.


Next, a colorful look with Champagne, Ménthe, and Curaçao. Champagne on the inner third, Ménthe in the middleCuraçao at the other edge and crease. Bottom lashline placement mirrors the top. Other makeup: MAC Strut brow pencil, Bobbi Brown corrector in Peach set with Annabelle BB Compact Makeup, MAC Fresh Honey blush, MAC Whisper of Gilt to highlight, Dior Bal d'été gloss.
Peacock colors! I think this is my favorite.

Third, it's time to use the colors that tend to scare me: Cassis and Parfait Amour. I don't use red and purple very often, but I figured, what the hell.
I dug out a bright lipstick for you. Coz why the hell not, right?
And then let's make them wearable! The purple shade was a little muddy here - probably because I'm a pansy and didn't want to make it too purple.
On lips: Shu Uemura Orange Dream* Lipstick. Ack, I love this lipstick so much. (Thanks, Tracy!)

And that's all, because by now you're tired of staring at my face.

So. What do you think so far? They're not super bright or super boring, which is a nice happy medium for me. Stay tuned for the actual review tomorrow.