Sunday, January 5, 2014

L'Oreal Magic Nude Liquid Powder: I (Kind Of) Like It

[Product was purchased by me.]
310 Light Ivory.

Sorry about the title, but sometimes I just want to cut to the chase. Which, in this case, is to say: I have confused feelings about it. Ha. I mean, I think I like it. I do. But it's weird.

I wear the shade 310 Light Ivory, which is the lightest in the range (for reference, I wear NARS Ceylan in Sheer Glow, and Finland in the tinted moisturizer). When I first apply it, it seems shockingly pale, but it warms up after a few minutes and suits me better. I don't experience the oxidizing that Lena speaks of, but I think that may be because my skin is (unfortunately) a touch more dry.
I can't believe I'm showing this. But there it is. With foundation on the left, no foundation on the right. You can see that the left looks a touch paler and a little powdery, but it also disguises pores and smooths out the appearance of my skin. It settles in and looks a bit more like me-colored skin after a few minutes (see below).

It goes on like a liquid but immediately smooths out to a powdery, matte finish - with just a touch of glow. I use my fingers (the recommended method), and that works just fine. The first couple of times I tried it, there were some patches and places that hadn't smoothed out entirely (I'm sloppy, haha), which S. helpfully pointed out to me once I came out of the bathroom. He smoothed them out for me - what a guy, right? Ha.
Wearing the L'Oreal Magic Nude foundation and makeup from an upcoming post. This is a genuine smile, y'all, because we were watching The Golden Girls.

I purchased this on sale, because...I'm not sure why, actually. Mostly because I was curious and I wanted something powdery and light. I took it to HI and actually wore it during @totoroacorn 's wedding. I've never really tried a drugstore foundation before, but I know everyone says this is exactly like Armani's Maestro, so I was expecting something nice. And you know, it is.

It is also one of the weirdest foundations I've ever put on my face. As Lena said, the packaging is annoying (it's just a bottle with a small opening), it has a chemical sunscreen (not my favorite, and SPF 18 is small fries), it's chock full of silicones, and the shade range isn't extensive. It can accentuate dry patches, yes; a spritz of MAC FIX+ can mitigate that effect, but I wouldn't opt for this when my skin is really dry, at the heart of winter.

But, it's affordable and easy to wear. So I like it. I don't - and wouldn't - wear it every day, because excessive silicones tend to break me out after a while, but it's not a bad foundation, overall. It even has a place in the daily tray.

Active Ingredient: Octinoxate 3%; Other Ingredients: Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Isododecane, Alcohol Denat., Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Phenyl Trimethicone, Acrylates/Polytrimethylsiloxymethacrylate Copolymer, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Water, Propylene Carbonate, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Aluminum Hydroxide. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.