Monday, January 6, 2014

Go for the Curl: Clinique High Impact Curling Mascara

[Product was purchased by me.]

It's not really advertised as a tubing mascara, but it definitely is. Removal is the same as with Clinique's Lash Power - wash with warm water and the mascara comes off in little wriggling tendrils (I usually do this in the shower). Since I have problems with mascaras smudging (believe me, I've tried a ton, even waterproof - I think the problem is that I have to use a creamy undereye concealer), tubing mascaras are the only ones I'll try nowadays.

It has a curved brush with bristles that aren't poky, thank goodness. It tapers toward the tip so you can get the inner corner lashes, but I find that a lot of product builds up there (even if I try to wipe it all off) so I just angle the brush vertically and get those lashes that way. I do like the curved shape of the brush, though, as it helps get all of my lashes at once. The brush is supposed to "lift" all your lashes up, and I think it does.

I tried it once, for you, without curling my lashes first, just to see how much "lift" can be achieved on its own, and actually, it is noticeable. If you really need to save a step, I think you could get away without pre-curling your lashes. I, however, need as much help as I can get in the lash department, so I typically use my Shiseido curler first. Thankfully, this formula doesn't weigh down my lashes, so they stay curled!

I've always been a "volume" girl when it comes to mascara, but actually, if my lashes are well curled, it still makes a big difference in the overall look, so maybe that's what I've been looking for all this time. Who'da thought?

(Also, as I was editing this post and cropping out eyeballs, etc., I had to sit back and think: this is one weird thing I do. Does anyone else ever have that thought?)

If you have problems with smudging, you might want to try a tubing mascara - and this is my new go-to. Keeps lashes lifted and fluttery, without getting crunchy or flaking off. Super awesome! Plus, at $16.00, it's not too hard on the wallet.

ingredients: water, acrylates cpolymer, kaolin, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, PEG-15 glyceryl stearate, silica, butylene glycol, beeswax, alcohol, hydrogenated rapeseed alcohol, polyvinyl alcohol, bentonite, dimethicone, stearic acid, sucrose distearate, VP/VA copolymer, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, nylon-66 simethicone, aminomethyl propanediol, aminomethyl propanol, xanthan gum, tocopherol, phenoxyethanol, chlorphenesin, sodium dehydroacetate; +/- iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), titanium dioxide (CI 77891), mananese violet (CI 77742), yellow 5 lake (CI 19140), chromium oxide greens (CI 77288), chromium hydroxide green (CI 77289), carmine (CI 75470), bismuth oxychloride (CI 77163), blue 1 lake (CI 42090), ultramarines (CI 77007)