Tuesday, November 12, 2013

'Tis the Season: Red Lips

If you try to sing Christmas songs around me, I'll kick you in the shins.

Why do we rush toward Christmas every year? Gah. It's stressful.
Wearing: Rouge d'Armani 400. And Lena, this is Tarte Stellar lightly on cheeks with a red lip for you! :)
But, I can embrace the traditional season for red lips and metallic shades for eyes and tips. Today, inspired by Lily, I bring you my favorite red lipstick picks.

I like red lipstick a lot, but I'm by no means a real collector - really, a lot of reds begin to look the same once they're worn, and there's no reason I should have the amount that I do. But I do. So here they are. These are the ones I wear the most often - my favorites. My preciouses. (That's totally a thing.)
In general, my red lip picks run toward the blue-red end of the spectrum. There are some gorgeous red orange shades that I need to try...any suggestions?

This first set brings you the unadulterated reds; no glitter or metallic finishes or shimmer, just opaque red gorgeousness. Some are matte (NARS Mascate, Laura Mercier Mink), some are satin (MAC Runaway Red, Bite Beauty Pomegranate), and Rouge d'Armani 400 is a glossy, high-shine gel-finish that is still 100% opaque. When I wear these, I usually line my lips with MAC Cherry lipliner first, to keep crisp edges.
L-R: MAC Cherry, Bite Beauty Pomegranate, Rouge d'Armani 400, MAC Runaway Red, NARS Mascate, Laura Mercier Mink. Only MAC Runaway Red was limited edition; I know MAC offers a lot of other classic reds, but I haven't really tried the rest of them.

And here are some that are mostly red; they either have a dusting of gold or a slight shade variation or both. Dior Belle de Nuit, MAC Can't Resist, Dior Nocturne, Marcelle Passion.
L-R: Marcelle Passion, Dior Nocturne, Dior Belle de Nuit, MAC Can't Resist. The two Diors were LE. Sorry!

There's my red lip wardrobe. Cooler weather makes red lips even more appropriate, but I think you can wear red at any time of the year. Sometimes I put on red lipstick just to lounge around at home in sweats, because it makes me feel better. And sometimes that's what it's all about.

What's your favorite red lipstick?