Friday, November 15, 2013

Doing Some Research - Lists via Rank and Style

Every time I'm in the market for a new product (currently: flat irons and blow dryers), I do a lot of googling with many open tabs, comparing prices and reviews and availability and getting opinions from fellow bloggers and dear readers like you. It's a long and arduous process, as I'm sure you already know.

The problem is, though, that for completely new-to-me products (again, flat irons), I don't even have a starting point; I usually just end up searching something like "top ten flat irons" and then working my way through the list and following other suggestions as they come up. Which is why I find the Rank and Style website useful; they provide unbiased top ten lists (brands cannot sponsor posts or pay to be included in lists) that I can use to launch my search.

My recent quests:

Liquid liners. These are a staple in my makeup wardrobe and I'm always looking for a good one. I'm happy with Smashbox's Limitless Liner in terms of wear time and its glossy black finish, but the tip is a bit too stiff for my liking. It's hard for me to find a paraben-free one, but that new Marc Jacobs one might be something to try next. I've swatched Eyeko's (not black enough) and had to return the NARS Stylo - it disappeared from lids within the hour.

Flat irons: I'm new to this hair straightening game. I love that there are a variety of price point options in this list. I think I'm adding the Conair to my Christmas lists.

Color-safe shampoos: Also a new-to-me thing. I use Renpure's Argan oil shampoo and conditioner right now (color-safe and sulfate-free), but I've been debating switching it up and seeing if another brand that specifically targets color-treated hair would keep the vibrancy going a little longer (but it hasn't been terrible). Do you have a favorite?

You do need to register on the site to be able to access full lists and, if you want, receive a twice weekly email list (although, I do have to say that twice weekly is too often for me - I wish it were scaled back to perhaps a summary once a month or so), but then you can also save your favorite lists, which is sometimes quite handy.

Do you see yourself utilizing a tool like this? What is your favorite way to look up new products?