Tuesday, October 8, 2013

We're All Matte, Here - Matte Lipstick Picks

[Products featured in this post were all purchased by me, except *, which was received as a gift.]

I really love a matte lipstick, even though my lips are typically dry. Mattes can sometimes be a statement, it's true, but I also think they can be really flattering - a sort of soft-focus effect that's not all unnaturally glossy or sparkly. I thought I'd share my favorites.
Becca Beach Tint in Strawberry, Tarte Matte Lip Tint in Exposed, Laura Mercier Rouge Nouveau in Mink, NARS Mascate.
First of all, though, I have to tell you: I hate when people tell me that I should use a balm under a matte lipstick to make it less drying. Seriously. It completely eliminates the matte effect, so why the hell wouldn't I just go buy another glossy or juicy looking formula in the same shade, instead? The point of a matte lipstick is that it is matte, and if I have to tweak it or layer five or lip products in order to make it comfortable to wear, I'm not interested.

Phew. Good to get that off my chest.

So. Yes, I do sometimes exfoliate my lips prior to wearing matte formulas, but only if I think it's necessary. You can pat on balm way before hand and blot it off, too. That eliminates most of the shine. But most matte formulas are at least slightly drying - that's what you get. It's like wearing high (3.5+ inch) heels. Your feet are gonna hurt like a mother after dancing in them all night, but damn, you looked good wearing them. I haven't sampled all the wide range of mattes available, but I like NARS's Pure Mattes (I own two: Carthage and Mascate), Tarte's matte lip tints (I own Exposed*), and Laura Mercier's new Rouge Nouveau line (the M names are mattes). I haven't tried MAC's, or any drugstore formula, so I can't compare those.
Tarte Exposed, Laura Mercier Mink, NARS Mascate, Becca Strawberry.

I know these look similar in my swatches, but Tarte Exposed is a gray pink (sounds attractive, doesn't it? It's pretty, I promise). Laura Mercier Mink is supposed to be brown red, but on my lips, it's the most gorgeous warm red...it's a must have. NARS Mascate is also a must-have. MUST HAVE. And Becca's Strawberry Beach Tint dries matte, but a bit patchy. It's brighter than Mink. It's the most drying, so I don't wear it often, but I really love the shade. I'm a bit torn. And I know I said not to talk about this, but if I'm not going for a matte look and I'm layering lip products, the Beach Tint is the best, because it's a stain, so you don't get any weird transfer when you apply gloss over it, or any mooshing around of product ("moosh" being the technical term, of course).

The bottom line here? Buy NARS Mascate.

No, really.

Annnnd, because I love them, what is your favorite matte formula or shade?