Sunday, October 20, 2013

Luxurious Skincare: A Tatcha Treat

[Products were provided by PR, gratis.]
Tatcha One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil, $48.

There seems to be a new focus on luxury skincare, especially in the blogging community. And these brands are not only luxurious, but also have an emphasis on naturally sourced ingredients and a "greener" outlook on beauty and product formulation. It's nice to see, although the price point of these lines put them squarely in "luxury" rather than practical or necessary. Still, if you're at that point in life where your budget accommodates such items, sometimes they are nice to have. I think it's up to the individual to decide what is "worth it," in terms of money and time and effort and product choice. It's not for me to judge.

Tatcha is right up there with beautiful packaging, and good-for-your-skin ingredients. All of their products are formulated without mineral oil, synthetic colors, synthetic fragrances, sulfate detergents, parabens, phthalates, urea, PEGs, PPGs, DEA or TEA, which is nice to hear - it's nice to know that you can use a line pretty indiscriminately even if you're on the lookout for certain ingredients.

Their One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil ($48 for 5.1 fl oz, for all skin types) feels cushiony and doesn't dry out my skin. If I'm wearing liquid liner, it can leave a bit of residue left along my eyes (also, I don't like to rub my eyes a whole lot), but otherwise it does a great job at removing makeup. You pump some (I usually do half a pump when I'm not wearing much base makeup) into dry hands, massage gently over the face for a few minutes, and then wash it all off. I sometimes follow up with the Polished Classic Rice Enzyme Powder (usually just once or twice a week), but otherwise I don't feel the need to wash my face again afterward.

ingredients: cetyl ethylhexanoate, oryza sativa (rice) bran oil, polyglyceryl-10 dioleate, polyglyceryl-2 sesquicaprylate, water, glyceryl behenate/eicosadioate, ethylhexylglycerin, phenoxyethanol, camellia japonica seed oil, algae extract, alcohol, camellia sinensis (green tea) leaf extract, glycerin, fragrance (natural).
Tatcha's packaging is so beautiful. The Rice Enzyme Powder is $65.

Their Rice Enzyme Powder ($65) comes in three formulations, addressing different skin types. I have the Classic, but probably the Gentle version would be better suited to my skin. I do feel like my skin is a little too tight after using this, which is why I only use it a few times a week. For those with normal/combination skin, it would be fine, I think. You pour some onto wet hands, lather it up, and gently massage your face with it. It's scrubby, but the particles are very fine, and it feels like a paste in the end rather than individual beads or anything like that. I like it. It is such a pampering treat, like a true spa facial. It contains rice and papaya enzymes, conditioning pearl and Tatcha's signature Hadasei-3 complex.

ingredients: talc, microcrystalline cellulose, potassium myristate, polyethylene, oryza sativa (rice) bran, papain, dextrin, algae extract, camellia sinensis (green tea) leaf extract, glycerin, alcohol, phenoxyethanol, hydrolyzed conchiolin (pearl) protein

Overall, I do find Tatcha's products both effective and luxurious, which is what was intended. Do you need these? No, probably not. But if you're the kind of person who can comfortably treat yourself to Tom Ford and the price point doesn't deter you, I'd go for it. I'm not quite at that stage in life yet (need. job. desperately.), but I'll live vicariously through you. And indulge in the rest of what I have here, which I think will actually last me quite a while.

How do you feel about the influx of "green," luxury beauty products? Do you have a favorite brand to recommend?