Friday, September 6, 2013

Okay Fall, You Win: Autumn Lipsticks, Old and New

Actually, autumn is my favorite season of the year. But summer was so glorious this year, that I really didn't want it to end. I think it may still be clinging on right now, but I acknowledge that fall will soon be in full swing, so we might as well start looking forward to it, right?

Which means: fall makeup. My absolute favorite. I had a pumpkin spice latte this morning, because it was wet and wet and wet and miserable. So I guess that means I can swatch fall lipsticks.
If you're going to be wearing lots of strongly colored lipstick, I would really recommend a clear liner like Dior's that goes with everything and keeps creamy formulas from feathering at the lip lines.
One might say I don't need any more. Ahem. One might be right. But gloating really isn't attractive, is it? Swatches below. Those marked with a * were limited edition (I'm sorry!), and I purchased all of these on my own. Click the names for links to previous posts featuring these lipsticks.
L-R: Dior Angélique Beige, Tarte Moody, L'oreal Everlasting Caramel, Becca Berry Twist, YSL Forbidden Burgundy, Dior Nocturne*, MAC Runaway Red*,  NARS MascateLaura Mercier Mink, Armani 609

See, I have you covered. Nude (Dior Angélique Beige) if you're gonna do that whole smokey eye thing. Something a little more sheer if you're a scaredy cat (kidding!) - Tarte Moody. L'oreal Everlasting Caramel is one of the stain thingees, which I quite like. It's brown without being BROWN.

Becca Berry Twist is a gloss and absolutely stunning. YSL Forbidden Burgundy actually isn't one of my favorite lipsticks (I don't really love the YSL formula and the packaging always fails me); it's pinker than Berry Twist and probably pretty close to MAC Rebel (which I don't own).

Dior Nocturne was a holiday release and probably I should get rid of it, but it's so damn pretty. It's got gold sparkles. For a more classic red, MAC Runaway Red is still my favorite - satin finish, slightly darker than normal. NARS Mascate is darker still, and matte. Laura Mercier Mink is the Rouge Nouveau formula and I just picked it up today. Matte, slightly reddish brown. Great for fall.
Laura Mercier Rouge Nouveau in Mink. It's warmer than it appears here - there's a bit of brown in it, definitely. I love mattes because they can look so soft.
And yes, I know. I'm wearing a sweater. Ok, fine, fall, you win. *throws up hands*

And finally, the ultimate in vampy lipstick: Armani 609. I cannot tell you how much I love this lipstick and every time I wear it, I get compliments. It's stunning.

I'm a little more excited about fall now. I think if anything were to round this out, it'd be a peachy gloss like Dior Spring Ball (which I was going to buy today BUT THEY WERE OUT OF STOCK) to add some dimension to nude lips and create further pairing possibilities.

What's your favorite autumn lipstick?