Thursday, September 12, 2013

Dipping into the Alphabet Cream Trend: Ole Henriksen CC Cream

[Product featured in this post was received as a 100 point perk from Sephora. Apparently it's Ole Henriksen week on this blog. Ha!]

I've tried two BB creams (Marcelle's and Maybelline's) and this is my first CC cream. I'm not really into the whole trend, and I like tinted moisturizers and skincare as separate items, so the idea of an "all-in-one" doesn't necessarily charm me. However, color correcting creams are of interest to me because I don't like heavy foundations and the idea of simply neutralizing redness and then being able to forgo traditional base products does appeal to me.

I've wanted to try Clinique's, but I'm trying to sort out the whole difference between the Asian release colors and the ones here in the US (they seem to have merged?) but my local Sephora doesn't carry the line and I keep forgetting about it when I'm near Nordstrom. I'll have to simply order one and find out, I guess. However, I did receive a sample of the Ole Henriksen CC Cream with one of my Sephora orders, and I've been trying it out.
Ole Henriksen CC Cream in Light. OMG ignore my dry hands.

The first time I tried it, upon initial application, I thought the color match was ok. I have Light. Then I got outside and looked at myself in the car mirror and was horrified because I thought it looked orange. Then I went around and glanced at myself in other lighting, and it looked fine. Bottom line is: It's a decent match. I don't think it oxidizes as badly as I initially thought (the direct sunlight in my car is harsh, man). It does a relatively good job of concealing redness, and it gives skin a dewy look. I think if you have oily skin, you're probably going to want a setting or blotting powder over the course of the day.
Wearing the Ole Henriksen CC Cream in Light under NARS Pressed Powder. On lips: Tarte Moody over L'Oreal Pink Resistance. Another lipstick from my fall lineup, down! I'd say Tarte Moody is a good gateway vamp.
It is SPF 30 and my little bottle says that the active ingredients are avobenzone 2%, homosalate 5%, octinoxate 7.5%, octisalate 5% and octocrylene 1.86%, so these are chemical sunscreens. A full ingredients list is available here, though it doesn't appear to include the active ingredients.

It's supposed to provide added skincare benefits over time, and of course I haven't been using it long enough to report back on that. I don't necessarily believe that base makeup has to multi-task as skincare, though, so it's really not that important to me. The product has a strong citrus smell, like the rest of the Truth line. You can see from the FOTD photo above that it doesn't really cover all of my imperfections and my skin still looks like skin...but that's ok with me. That photo was also taken in the middle of the day, about 6 hours into wear time.

If you're looking for a CC cream in particular, this may be one to try. I have to try Clinique's because it gets so many raves, and I'm not sure I'm going to invest in this one - it's $36 for 1 oz and only comes in two shades, which is really disappointing. Still, if you're like me and sometimes only want something light and basic to give your natural skin a little bit of help, it may be worth trying out.

[If you are reading this on any other site besides Eye Heart It, it is stolen content and should be reported. Thank you!]