Saturday, August 17, 2013

It's All in the Nuances: Shiseido BE213 Nude Eye Shadow Trio

[The featured product was purchased by me.]

[I passed my final exam, so there will be no more whining and panicking. Just thought you'd like to know. I'm not this kind of doctor, or this kind (unfortunately), but I do have my Ph.D. in chemistry now, and that's quite nice, isn't it?]

After I picked up the colorful YE406 trio, I absolutely wanted another Shiseido eye shadow palette. The colors are usually gorgeous and have a duochrome quality, making them beautiful to wear - shades never look flat or chalky. I find the lasting power on par with other brands I own and have tried (with primer or over some kind of base - I rarely wear any eyeshadow without these prep products). The colors are often subtler, but there is a variety and I find myself drawn to nearly every trio available.
Shiseido BE231 Nude Trio. It looks so flat here! But the shadows look really luminous and nuanced in person.

I purchased the new BE231 trio (a fall 2013 release) because I was looking for those perfect neutral shades that serve as easy washes of color. What I currently have are either too frosty or too matte or not quite the right shades, and BE231 looked perfect for my skintone.

I'm very pleased with it. My photos don't really capture the duochrome sheen that's present in all three shades. You have to see them in person. But I'll try to show you what I mean.
The darkest shade looks muddy here, but it's really not. It's hard to see their potential in arm swatches, and really, it's meant to be worn on the face, as Tracy says. Hopefully you can see the gold glimmer that each shade has. I tried to build up the swatches, so it looks chalky. You don't need to do that when you actually apply it.

The palest shade is a gold-ivory when a beautiful yellow gold sheen. The center shade is a peachy champagne (my absolute, absolute favorite), and the last is latte-colored brown. It seems quite light in the pan, but it works as a crease shade for me - a subtle deepening of color toward the outer edge of my eyes. I could use this as a browbone, lid wash, and crease shade trio. I did. But I could see mixing and matching, too.
Wearing BE231. Also: NARS TM Finland, Bobbi Brown Corrector in Peach, Smashbox Limitless Liquid Liner, Clinique High Impact Waterproof Mascara, MUFE Aqua Brow 25, Dior Capri blush, Bite Beauty Lush Lip Tint in Juice, NARS Light Reflecting Pressed Powder.

Shiseido's eye shadows are totally overlooked and underrated, in my opinion. They make beautiful, nuanced shades in simple, chic packaging (the only thing I'll mention is that I don't use the provided applicator or brush). They are all shimmery, so if that's not your cup of tea, you can safely pass.

If you love delicate, foolproof neutrals, I'd take a look at these. I'm not sure how they'll fair on deeper skintones; I think they will probably only serve as "nudes" for a certain range of skintones. But the shimmer element gives them life, so other trios may still be worth looking into. RD299, Beach Grass, is the next one I've got my eye on. If I just filled my eye shadow drawer with Shiseido, I'd be perfectly happy...just give me some time.

Need to see more? Tracy has a feature of Pink Sands here, and Claire has a lovely single here.

[If you are reading this on any other site besides Eye Heart It, it is stolen content and should be reported. Thank you!]