Saturday, August 3, 2013

Dressing down THE RED LIP

[Products featured in this post were purchased by me, except for *, which was a gift from a friend.]

I think red lipstick doesn't have to be reserved for date nights or glamorous, big events. It's perfectly fine for a day look - a casual day look, even. As I've been sitting at home writing dissertations/putting together presentations, I find a red lip boosts my morale. Whatever helps, you know? Red lips and pajamas, the new black!

After prepping my face (NARS Tinted Moisturizer in Finland, Bobbi Brown corrector in Peach under eyes, MUFE Aqua Brow #25 on brows), I picked a lipstick. I think for a casual look, I'd stick to something with a jelly or glossy finish - nothing matte or super creamy (although a nice matte, red lip is very classic, and one of my favorite looks, as well).
Usually I start with eyes and work my way down, but here, I want to be sure not to use too much color or apply something too strongly, so I start with lips. I'm using Dior Rouge Serum in 850 Red Serum. Similar (slight variations in shade): Dior Addict Extreme Fireworks, Dior Addict Red Carpet, Chubby Stick Intense Mightiest Maraschino or Heftiest Hibiscus. Generally, those balm-hybrid lipsticks work well here! Or a very opaque gloss. I line my lips with Dior's Universal Contour lip liner first, and then apply lipstick.

Then eyes: I used the Clinique Teddy Bear quad for neutral, matte eyes, keeping them well-defined with Clinique's Brush-on Cream liner in Black and amping up the lashes with Clinique's High Impact Waterproof mascara. I really like this Clinique quad (the new revamped version seems shimmery, though!), but other good options for matte/low shimmer neutrals include Burberry's singles and quads, and neutrals from MAC's permanent range.
I added some color to my cheeks with Tarte's Stellar*. I would stick with something that doesn't differ too much in tone from the lipstick you choose, and also doesn't overpower or clash with your lip choice. Dusty roses like this include MAC Harmony, Tarte Exposed. I also like Senna Cosmetics Trés Jolie.

Et, voila. Something for the summer. Go out and rock your red lips. With shorts, with that little black dress, on your way to the mall, on your walk with the dog. It's all in how it makes you feel, right?

What's your favorite red lipstick, and what occasions make you pull it out?


[If you are reading this on any other site besides Eye Heart It, it is stolen content and should be reported. Thank you!]