Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Camera Ready: NARS Light Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder

[Product was purchased by me.]

I don't get particularly oily throughout the day, so I have never really been interested in finishing powders. However, I do need to set my undereye corrector with powder, and I find that using a foundation-colored shade can often make the area look too ashy. So I went looking for a translucent powder, and found many helpful reviews on NARS's version.
NARS Light Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder
They make both a loose and pressed version, but as a klutz, I am against all loose powders, so I focused solely on the pressed. These are two of the reviews that I found the most helpful.

10AM Beauty
Makeup Withdrawal

I was a little concerned that I would have to use a sponge (don't like sponges, either) for application, but I find that my RT Buffing Brush is fine for the job. I use a clean brush, swirl it in the pan, and then pat gently and methodically along my face, holding the brush perpendicular so that the flat head of the brush is patted against my skin. There is no white cast that I can see in photos, and as you can see, it looks fabulous on camera.
Makeup from this post. NARS powder on your left, without on the right. I can tell the difference, and the difference is also marked in photos with vs without. I am wearing the same makeup all over, with the exception of the NARS powder being split down the middle. The side on your left, (with NARS), seems more "airbrushed" to me. Or maybe I'm just crazy.
I usually apply this over a full face of makeup. I've also tried it over a less pigmented, color correcting cream (Ole Henriksen's, which I may or may not review); it gives skin an overall smooth finish, and a subtle glow. It also tamps down on shine - skin glows, but doesn't necessarily look oily or excessively dewy.
With NARS Pressed Setting Powder all over face.
I don't wear this powder every day on my full face, as it is an extra step, but I wear it often, and definitely if I am going to take blog photos or for a nice day/evening out. I actually don't find it as fussy as some reviews have suggested, but I haven't experimented beyond the one RT brush. It does also seem like makeup lasts a little longer when set, but I suppose that is what people have been saying for years. And finally: yes, it works as I initially intended - as a setting powder for my under eye corrector.

I bought mine from Sephora; it retails for $34 but I expect the pan will last forever. It comes in a nice case with a tiny flat sponge that I have never used and don't expect to use. The pouch is nice, though. Overall, recommended.

Ingredients: synthetic fluorphlogopite, silica, cetearyl ethylhexanoate, glycerin, squalane, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, polysorbate 80, caprylyl glycol, ethylhexylglycerin, carrageenan, xanthan gum, 1,2-hexanediol, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxydrocinnamate, maris aqua (sea water), ascophyllum nodosum (ascophyllum nodosium extract), magnesium silicate, tocopheryl acetate, phenoxyethanol, potassium sorbate, tin oxide, mica, CI 77891 (titanium dioxide), CI 77491 (iron oxides).

[If you are reading this on any other site besides Eye Heart It, it is stolen content and should be reported. Thank you!]