Thursday, August 22, 2013

Being Braver and Giving Scents a Second Chance: Prada Candy

[Sample received as a GWP.]

I remember trying Prada Candy in stores, and being turned off by a very strong whiff of something weird and astringent. I was a bit disappointed, as the notes sounded lovely and gourmand, but it was really only a tiny blip on my radar, anyway.
image from Sephora.com
However. I recently received a sample as a lagniappe (!), and decided, what the hell, I'm being more adventurous nowadays. I spritzed. And fell in love.

With notes of "caramel, vanilla, musk, benzoin," this is definitely a sweeter blend, but it's not sticky, sugary, cavity-inducing sweet as the name suggests (can I say? I hate the name, and I dislike the packaging. At least I know I'm not falling for clever marketing only, right?). I don't really consider it a gourmand, either - I'm not reminded of burnt, sumptuous caramel so much as an elegant vanilla, the shade of cream-colored walls and soft leathers. Or the vanilla orchid.
Vanilla orchid and beans.
[source]
On first spritz, I get the warm, vanilla beginning - something that reminds me of Jo Malone Vanilla and Anise, although that is far greener and simpler, and I like Candy better. But then it evolves into its full potential - a drydown with a slightly medicinal edge, tempered with just the right amount of sweetness; the benzoin keeps it fresh without being green. I kind of adore it.

Candy does last all day on me with two generous spritzes - I can still catch notes of it lingering around before I shower in the evening, and it always makes me smile. It's not a bold perfume - it doesn't shout out at you, or call attention to itself. It's comforting and sweet and cozy, though, and I can see wearing it through the winter with perfect happiness. It's dependable. Sweet. A paramour.

The full bottle is on my wishlist.

Need another opinion? (of course you do!)
EauMG
Cute and Mundane
Bois de Jasmin
Olfactoria's Travels

Have you sniffed this one? What are your thoughts?

[If you are reading this on any other site besides Eye Heart It, it is stolen content and should be reported. Thank you!]