Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A Budget-Friendly Option: Solstice Scents Burnishing Glacé Mist

[Products in this post were purchased by me.]

You heard me rave about Caudalie's Divine Oil, and rightly so. However, I went through the little bottle very quickly, and the $49 price tag for the full size (3.4 oz) isn't really charming me. What I did find, though, was that I really liked the feel of a body oil - and all this time, I thought I'd hate it.

Enter Solstice Scents, one of my favorite indie shops for bath and body products (and perfume oils). I knew I wanted to get Tropical Moon this summer when it was re-released, but I didn't know in what format. I have a lot of perfume oils, and I didn't want to get another whipped soap, so I was looking around, and settled on the Burnishing Glacé Mist. It's $14 for 4 oz., comes in a spray bottle, and is intended for "light moisture" as a sprayable, scented body mist, or for use in a bath - it's not for use on the face. There is an unscented version, Ghost, which is supposed to be more moisturizing, but part of the experience for me, is in the lovely summery scent of Tropical Moon.

[Ingredients for the Tropical Moon version: Cyclomethicone NF, fragrance and/or essential oils, argan oil, rice bran oil, monoi oil (contains coconut).]

And guys. GUYS. This stuff is awesome. Yes, the ingredient list is different than Caudalie's, but I didn't say I had a dupe (and the burning glacé mist list is pretty simple, which is pretty impressive, actually). And the end result, for me, is the same, which is what is important to me. I spray the burnishing glacé mist on my skin after a shower - the spray pump is more dispersive and less strong than the Caudalie pump, which I actually prefer - easier to "mist" on my skin, rather than spraying down one spot excessively - and then lightly run my hands along the skin to ease it in. As with the Divine Oil, there's no need to vigorously rub. It sinks in nicely, leaves my skin feeling moisturized but not greasy, and as with the Divine Oil, there's no unsightly residue left over.

In the winter, I suspect neither version will be enough moisture, but since I can also pour some of this into a hot winter soak for a small burst of sensory summer, I don't feel too bad about perhaps not using all of this up seasonally. In addition, at $14 a bottle, I don't feel like I have to save it or ration it, and I feel so much more comfortable using it liberally. And if I spray the walls, I spray the walls. Coconut scented walls are the new thing, you know.

All in all, if you're a fan of the Divine Oil but cringe at the price tag, I'd suggest you give this a shot. It comes in a variety of scents (or unscented, if you prefer), and the experience afforded is quite similar - and importantly, affordable. Indulgent, summery sleekness in a bottle.

[If you are reading this on any other site besides Eye Heart It, it is stolen content and should be reported. Thank you!]