Saturday, July 27, 2013

Summer Skincare: Day, Night, and As Necessary

[products in this post were purchased by me.]

In general, my skin is on the slightly drier side; I typically go for products that address moisture, my naturally puffy and dark undereye areas, sunspots, and skin dullness. I figured that summer was a good time to finally get my act together and share my skincare products, because traditional summer looks are all bright, fresh, and glowing. I completely understand - I don't want tons of heavy makeup, and I also don't want to spend time putting it all on. I want to be outside, enjoying Seattle's glorious long summer days, picking strawberries, hiking with S. and Dennison, and living up any final-exam-free moments in the sunshine.

The minimal makeup look works much better with healthier skin, so that has been my focus this summer. I've broken this down into products for the AM, PM, and occasional/as necessary. I try to keep it streamlined (again, time! Who wants to be slathering on 80+ items when they could be sipping sangria and salivating around a grill?), but I also want to cover the basics and address my concerns. One of my friends was just saying that being a woman is all about maintenance, and I have to agree. Clear skin, for me, is the result of lucky genes and perseverance; I cleanse and moisturize every day!

Enough talk. Products! I've reviewed some of these before and linked those, but some of these will be featured in more extensive, upcoming reviews.

AM:
Clinique Mild Facial Soap, Ole Henriksen Truth Serum, Clinique Super City Block, Ole Henriksen Total Truth Eye Crème SPF 15, Weleda Almond Soothing Facial Oil

The Clinique facial soap was my standard for a long time. I'm just using up this sample now in the AM; I usually keep two cleansers - one at the sink, one in the shower - so I don't have to move one back and forth all the time. The two Ole Henriksen products came in a set, and I like them. I will be purchasing the full sizes. Clinique's Super City Block is my go-to facial sunscreen; I may try something new in the future, but I like this one. It makes a nice base for foundation, though it will give your face a white cast in photographs taken with flash. Finally, Arianne's recommendation, Weleda Almond Soothing Facial Oil, makes a great daily moisturizer, and I find that it does soothe any redness I might have along my jawlines.

PM:
Neutrogena Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover, Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Milk, Ole Henriksen On the Go Cleanser, Ole Henriksen Enlighten Me Skin Tone Corrector, Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Eye, Weleda Almond Soothing Facial Oil

I've gone through a few of these Neutrogena bottles, but I might try Clarins next, as it got Tracy raves, and the oily residue with this is sometimes annoying. Clinique's Cleansing Milk is my favorite remover, but Arianne sent me a Shu oil to try, so I'm excited to open that next. I usually remove my makeup in the shower and finish with a regular cleanser; I like this Ole Henriksen a lot - it's gentle and cleans well without stripping skin of moisture. I normally have a toner in here but I don't have one I like right now, so I skip and move to eye cream (Kiehl's, which is nice for the evening) and then finish with my oil again.

Occasional/as necessary:
Clearsil Acne + Marks Spot Lotion, Nuxe Masque Crème Fraîche de Beauté, FAB Ultra Repair Instant Oatmeal Mask, FAB Ultra Repair Cream

For breakouts, I spot treat with Clearasil. Spot treatment means putting a generous amount on the area and rubbing it in well, not simply dabbing it on. It gets rid of any pesky zits in a reasonable amount of time. The Nuxe mask is new for me - I will have to try it a few more times before I can give it a proper review. FAB's oatmeal mask is nice for when my skin feels a bit irritated or dry, and I always have the Ultra Repair Cream on hand. It soothes itches, negative reactions to products, minor irritations, super dry patches on elbows and feet - everything. I've been through a tub and am halfway through this one.

Of course, in addition to this, I drink lots of water (at least a 1L Nalgene a day), try to get in lots of fruits and veggies, and remove my makeup before I work out. I'm not necessarily saying that everyone needs to do this - this is just what works for me, and if you're looking for new things to try, let me know how they work out for you! Have you tried any of these? What's your favorite mask or luxury treatment?