Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Own Firming Silk Concentrate: How I Test Skincare

[This product was received for review through iFabbo. None of the links are affiliate - click away!]

I don't have a lot of experience with different serums, as I only started using them in the past few years or so. It takes many months to get through a single bottle, so there it is. I've used skin tone correctors (Vichy, Clinique) which I like, but haven't really expanded beyond that.
Retails for $24.99, which is a nice price point to see.
Own's Firming Silk Concentrate is a retinol-free serum that is intended to improve the overall skin condition - firmer, brighter, softer. The dropper bottle is easy to use and control, and the serum itself is lightweight, non-greasy, and readily absorbed. I've only been using it for about a month, so I can't give you a detailed report on long-term effects. However, I was having some skin issues after the dry winter, and this has helped; the texture of my face has smoothed out a little bit, which I do attribute to this. If you're looking for an affordable, sulfate-/paraben-free serum, this is available at Ulta.
Ingredients: Caprylic/capric triglyceride, coco-caprylate, conjugated linoleic acid, tocopherol.

I would like to take a moment to explain why it takes me forever to review skincare. My trialling practices are as follows:

1. Trial only one product at a time. Skincare, colored cosmetics, it doesn't matter; certain colored products can cause irritations (itchy eyes from liners, for example, or breakout on cheeks due to blush) and I need to be able to isolate a cause if a reaction does occur.

2. Start slowly. Own's Firming Silk Concentrate is meant to be applied twice a day, so to start, I apply it once a day, every other day. Sometimes we can have delayed reactions, so I might not realize that something is causing problems until a day or so later. If I've already applied it five times between then, though, the effect is probably even worse than it could have been if I spread it out and started slow. This also means that when I'm testing a replacement to a product (e.g., a new eye cream), I make sure I have enough of the old one to finish out the trial period.

3. After about a week or two of alternating the new item, I go ahead and start using it 1x/2x daily, if I haven't seen any ill effects or cause for alarm. If I have, since I haven't changed anything else, the new item is usually the culprit, and I stop.

There you have it. The craziness that is Larie. However, I do think it's important not to overwhelm my skin with something new, and it's crucial that I be able to isolate a single new product in case something goes wrong. What's your approach to new skincare?


[If you are reading this on any other site besides Eye Heart It, it is stolen content and should be reported. Thank you!]