Saturday, December 8, 2012

Haus of Gloi Yule Goodies

I'm on a mission to try soaps and lotions from a few of the "major" indie companies out there. I've already gone through Alchemic Muse and Solstice Scents, so it was time to explore the Haus.

I ordered a full-sized Whipped Soap in Snow Wolf, and three minis: a Pumpkin Butter in Parkin, a Soft Bubbling Scrub in Honeysuckle Lemoncurd, and a Body Emulsion in Madcap Garden; the first two are seasonal and latter two are from the permanent lineup.

The Whipped Soap is very different from the Solstice Scents offering. It's more of a meringue texture versus the marshmallow fluff of Solstice Scents's whipped soaps. You can press your finger into it and it will give, but there is an initial firmness. Really cool, and I really like it. Lathers really well for an SLS-free product!

I'm not a huge fan of the scent, but that's just personal preference. I was trying to be adventurous. Snow Wolf is heavy on the Christmas tree smell. I'll be glad when it's gone, although the texture is luxurious. I definitely get the inspiration - prowling, howling, cold. Just not for me.
Haven't tried the Body Emulsion yet. I'm one of those crazy people who only likes to have one body lotion open at a time...

The Soft Bubbling Scrub is lovely; it's not overly gritty and lathers up well, but still remains scrubby. Honeysuckle Lemoncurd is definitely a citrus scent, and it's refreshing without mimicking bathroom cleaner. Very nice.

The Pumpkin Butter in Parkin smells like pumpkin spice muffins and I kind of want to eat it. I'm okay with gourmand scents, but if you're not, this is not the scent for you. As far as the lotion itself goes, it's of the thicker variety - good for winter, but sinks in quickly enough (without leaving a residue) that it would also be appropriate in the warmer months.

I will say that I do find the labels to be a bit annoying; once exposed to water (and I do keep my shower products, ah, in the shower) they start to crumble and disintegrate and pretty much become gross. I haven't had this problem with other indie jar labels - I guess they must have some sort of coating over them. Would love to see that here, but it's a small thing.

I ordered a couple more Solstice Scents items (winter collection!) but after that, I'm moving on yet again to another indie brand. There are pros and cons to all brands, and I am starting to get a feel for what kind of textures and scents I like. Haus of Gloi does lean gourmand, so if those aren't the scents for you, it may be best to stick to their Aether (unscented) varieties, just to explore the products. They're definitely worth trying!