Sunday, November 25, 2012

Trying Something New: A Wantable Box

I was contacted and offered a chance to try a Wantable box*. The idea is that you can create a profile, answering some basic questions about style and physical appearance, and then you get a personalized box. It's not a subscription box - you can just buy one to try out some new brands, or gift it to others. I think the boxes change every season, so you can try it out multiple times if you see sets that you like. They also offer free shipping both ways, which is nice to see.
All of the products in the "Eco-Tones Fire" Wantable box.

I actually got a different assessment when I filled out the questionnaire, but I ended up scrolling through and picking the "Boho Beauty" profile, because it seemed to come with more "natural" products, which generally means more paraben-free options. The website gives you a list of the products that are available in each box, so I was able to look up the websites and ingredient lists. Unfortunately, I thought the MiA BelleZZa blush was paraben-free and it isn't, so I didn't swatch that one for you. The rest of them are, though!
The box comes with a face chart as well as a separate itemized list of products and their retail prices. It also comes with an additional sheet that provides a description of each product and how to use it. I appreciate the detail that went into this - you get information on exactly what is in your box, down to the specific color.
I added up the prices of the individual prices = $84.69. The box is $40, so it is a deal compared to buying each product separately. I will say that I've never heard of some of these brands, but all of them have working, legitimate websites, and of course, I'm not suggesting that I am aware of every awesome brand on the planet. It was nice to see brands I've never heard of before, but it would also have been nice to see more brands that I recognized included, as well.
Lavera Organic Lip Gloss Magic Red #3, Lavera Soft Eyeliner in Brown, Benecos Natural Baked Eyeshadow in Mokka, Swagger Cosmetics Highlighter in Champagne in the Bubble Bath.

I wasn't impressed with the quality of the Benecos baked shadow - it was quite patchy, and even when I used it wet, I had to pack it on to get the pretty rose-gold shade to show up. It does contribute to a natural look, though. The Lavera eyeliner is dark enough in one pass, though it does have to be warmed up a bit before use (breathing on it helps - very high tech). I was surprised by how much I actually liked using brown eyeliner on its own. The Swagger Cosmetics highlighting powder is really lovely, even if it is a loose powder, and I've been using it daily to add a bit of glow to cheekbones as well as on the inner corner of my eyes. I like that it's a white-gold shade. The Lavera lip gloss is really sheer - not really what I expected of "Magic Red #3," but it's organic, if that makes you happy. It smells a bit "organic". Not my favorite.
Ignore that rebellious strand of hair.
This is a FOTD using all of the products (except the blush - I used MAC
Early Morning instead). It actually comes together for a nice, natural look, which is what face chart intends. In that respect, it succeeds.
Other products  used:  Annabelle BB Compact Makeup, MUFE Aqua Brow #25, Bobbi Brown Corrector in
Peach, Smashbox High Definition Concealer in Light
Overall, I'd say that I do like the idea behind the Wantable boxes - a coordinated set of items that you can purchase just once if you'd like, to try out a "new look." However, I did find some of the items in this season's box to be . I'd be interested to see what kind of brands and products they put together in future boxes, though, so I'll keep an eye on the site and their blog.

What do you think of the Wantable concept? Is it "Wantable?"

*Items were sent by PR for review purposes.