Monday, October 15, 2012

Red Lips for a Non-Bandit - Guest Post

Good day, all! By the way, I AM NOT LARIE. ***arms waving wildly***

Ahem. Had to get that out of the way as there was some confusion the last time I was posting at Eye Heart It. Larie's busy honeymooning and probably (hopefully) buying lots of Canadian makeup at the moment, so here I am, pawing through my paltry red lips collection and wondering how I've managed to accrue five very different kind of red lippies for someone who is deathly afraid of reds. For a long time, I associated red lips only with celebrities and very glamorous occasions, neither of which have much bearing on my personal life. Then I got sucked into the world of beauty blogging -- and the rest is, well, this.


Here are some of my red lip inspirations:

Medium red lips with black liner and barely there makeup.
Source

Blue-red lips with thick black liner and flushed cheeks courtesy of NARS.
Source

Dark red with smoky eyes and plenty of black liner.
Source

Bright blue-red with plenty of mascara and contoured skin.
Source

Stained red lips and cheeks with barely there makeup.
Source

And this is not to mention how Larie herself likes to wear red. See here, here and here

I probably wear my red the most like the last picture, as a stain with barely any other makeup. But I've been inspired to be bolder with makeup and am working my way to the smoky-eyed look. (Hoping to rock that at a holiday party this winter!) And what's the point of owning all these red lippies if not to use them, right?

From left to right: Chanel Rouge Allure Extrait de Gloss in 517 Triomphal (LE from Christmas 2011); LORAC Tie Dye for Gloss in Flaming Mix (LE from Christmas 2010); MAC Matte Lipstick in Diva; Revlon Colorburst Lipstick in 085 Ruby; and Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in 035 Candy Apple.


Same order as above.

Triomphal (left) / Flaming Mix (right)

Diva (left) / Ruby (right)

Candy Apple: left one coat, right three coats

All very red reds yet totally different. I know Candy Apple looks quite orange in these shots, but trust me, on the lips they are a bright pop of red. On the few occasions I wore it to work with three coats opaquely, I received some compliments on the shade which only bolstered my resolve to wear red lips more often. There's a shade out there for every skin tone and I think it's only a matter of experimenting with the eyes and skin to come up with the perfect combination. 


I'm making a point of wearing one of these reds at least once a week. How about you? Do you rock red lips on a regular basis or save it for special occasions? How many reds are in your stash?