Saturday, October 13, 2012

Polishes For a Rainy Day - Guest Post

[Larie's note: Amy is a dear and wrote a guest post for me today! If you don't already follow her, you should. She's lovely and funny and so very, very cute. Find her at Beyond Just Beauty.]

Hi, y'all! I'm so excited to be helping fill in for Larie while she's off getting married and honeymooning (yay!!!). I'm a huge fan of Eye Heart It, and while I'm still not really sure why on earth Larie would entrust a day of her blog into my spastic hands, I'm really glad to be here!

Like Larie, I reside in the Pacific Northwest, though a ways further south. I grew up here, and always scoffed when people said it rained all the time. Then I went to college back east, and WOW, you guys, it rains all the time here. I was amazed to discover that there are places that have more than 3 sunny days total between November and June. (Alright, alright, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but in the depths of winter, which around these parts is March, and sometimes June, it certainly feels that way.) Moving back to go to grad school has generally been a positive thing, but the dreary winters that last foreverrrrr are a definite downside.

See, I love wearing nail polish. (Hang in there with me, it'll all connect back up.) I mean, I love pretty much all makeup, but I have a special place in my heart for nail polish because it's the one item you can easily see on yourself––just hold up your hands, and voila! Pretty colors. I have a particular fondness for sparkles, and the arrival of cloud cover has the potential to ruin the glittery fun I so adore. But fear not! I've come up with some polish ideas that don't require sunshine to be awesome. I realize not everyone's winter is clouds and rain, but I do figure that we all have to put up with some precipitation at some point, so I'm hoping you all find it somewhat personally relevant! This is by no means an exhaustive list, and I welcome any other ideas you have in the comments!

Cremes: By far my least favorite polish finish, and the few ones I have I use pretty much exclusively for layering with glitters. The good thing about them, though, is that they are consistently boring––it's not like the lack of sunshine suddenly makes them dull. (Sorry to all the creme lovers out there!) This means you can wear your creme polishes with abandon in the wet and dreary months! Congratulations, I guess.

Vamps: Dropping temperatures and looming clouds are the perfect occasion to wear vampy polishes, according to the style powers that be. According to me, though, lots of vampy polishes end up just looking black unless they're in direct sunlight, so I'm restricting the choices here to those that retain their purpley-red color even in low light, and also to those that have enough shimmer that they don't look like cremes, because see above.
Left to right: OPI Every Month is Oktoberfest, Orly Fowl Play,
Wet N Wild Night Prowl over Wet N Wild Black Creme
Brights: Sure, vampy polishes go with the chilly wintry atmosphere, but sometimes I just can't take any more darkness. That's when the brights come out to play! Corals and bright pinks may be prototypically summer, but when it's been raining for 30 days straight, there's nothing quite like bright, punchy nails to cheer yourself up.
Left to right: Wet N Wild Saved by the Blue, Wet N Wild Dreamy Poppy,
Wet N Wild Blazed, China Glaze Ruby Pumps, China Glaze Ahoy!, Zoya Kimber
The cobalt blue looks a little out of place next to all the reds and pinks, but I thought it had a similar vibrancy and emotional effect. Also, notice the creme! (It's Dreamy Poppy, and I allow it because the color is so bright and happy.)

Foils: Foil finish polishes sparkle and glow in all lights, which makes them a good choice for sunless days. They also tend to be really fast-drying, which is a nice bonus!
Left to right: Zoya Carly, Zoya Reva, NYX Sunday Afternoon,
Sinful Colors Precious Metal
Glitters: Ah, glitters. You're so beautiful, and yet such a PITA to remove. Many glitters actually look best not in sunlight, so they can get plenty of wear in the wet months, assuming you're willing to put in the effort of taking them off (foil method helps!). Of course, you can always do flakies if you want to skip the painful removal process––Essence and Revlon have ones available (Essence's is more prototypically flaky-like, Revlon's is chunkier, but they're similar enough in concept).
Left to right: Cult Nails Captivate over Revlon All Fired Up, Revlon Whimsical
over Wet N Wild I Need A Refresh-mint, Finger Paints Twisted over Wet N Wild Black Creme,
China Glaze Make a Spectacle over Wet N Wild Black Creme, NYX Dreamy Glitter
over Wet N Wild Black Creme
Captivate can be worn alone, or over bright polishes, and definitely works as a "bright" polish as well. And, of course, all the glitters can be worn over more interesting base colors as well! Glitters can be found pretty much everywhere these days, and many are opaque, but some do look better under sunlight. My rule of thumb: if it manages to look cool under terrible drugstore lighting, it will manage to look cool under terrible cloudy lighting.

Rain: Some polishes just look like rain. Dusty, grey, muted: these are the polishes to reach for when you're embracing the moody weather.
Left to right: Zoya Neeka, Cult Nails My Kind of Cool Aid, Sally Hansen Grey Area,
Essence Grey-t to be Here, Sinful Colors Cinderella
My Kind of Cool Aid, Grey-t to be Here, and Cinderella all look best in sunlight, ironically, since it brings out their shimmers, but the color and feel of them are very winter-appropriate.

Duochromes: I saved my favorites for last. Any polish with duochrome immediately gets my attention (Grey-t to be Here and Fowl Play both have duochrome sparkles!), which is doubly true in the cloudy months when I don't have pretty holos to distract me. Duochromes show their awesome color shift in any light, so a lack of sunshine has absolutely no effect no their joy-bringing. Happily, duochromes have been having a moment lately, so there's tons of options, and the ones shown below are but a tip of the iceberg.
Left to right: China Glaze Unpredictable, Zoya Reece, Sally Hansen South Sea Pearl,
Orly Space Cadet
And phewf! You made it to the end! *confetti* I hope you all survived it okay, because now it's your turn! What are your favorite rainy weather polishes? And how do you feel about cremes? And, of course,

HAPPY WEDDING, LARIE!