Tuesday, October 23, 2012

My Experience with Crest 3D White Whitestrips

I really like coffee, tea, and wine. These are all notorious for staining your teeth, however, and while I do take care of my teeth pretty well (brushing 3x a day, flossing every day), stains are inevitable. Partially in preparation for the wedding and partially just because it's something I've been wanting to do, I picked up a box of Crest's 3D White Whitestrips - the 14 day version with "Advanced Seal" technology. Each set of strips (top, bottom) is worn for half an hour daily for two weeks.

It came in a pack with a 2-hour version from Costco, for $39.99, which is a steal, compared to drugstore or even Amazon's prices. It has a Crest guarantee on it (full refund if unhappy) and Costco also has a good return policy, so I figured it was worth trying. I gave myself a little over a month before the wedding to do this, so that I would have plenty of time to alleviate any issues that could possibly occur, but also so I wouldn't have to rush through the procedure.

What I'm going to do today is just relate my experience with the product - I'm not going to "review" it in the normal way, because this is a bigger deal than just evaluating the texture of a lipstick. Dental health is important and the situation is different for everyone, so I am in no place to recommend anything. Some people did express curiosity in the manner and wanted to hear how it turned out, so I thought I would share. This will be quite long - I'm trying to be detailed - so feel free to skip.
Crest Advanced Whitestrips: top and bottom set. You apply the bottom strip first, and then the top. You can see that they only really fit over the handful of teeth directly at the front of your mouth, which is all that is exposed when you smile normally. Since teeth whitening is purely cosmetic, I don't have any problems with that.



The first time I put it on, I was careful to pay attention to any sensations; there was a faint tingling, but otherwise, everything felt fairly normal. It is peroxide, so it will foam, so talking is a bit awkward - it's a good thing that S. apparently really likes me. I left both strips on for 30 minutes, and then pulled them off. I rinsed my mouth thoroughly, and made sure to wash my hands before and after. I took a few photos for my own personal reference (teeth photos are awkward, I won't be sharing them - I hope you understand). I did the same for the next two days, but wasn't able to wear them on the fourth day because of my schedule. The directions say that it's okay to skip a few days in between, and actually encourage that if you experience any teeth sensitivity.

It wasn't until the fifth strip that I started to feel a little bit of sensitivity with some of my teeth; I skipped a couple of days and then my teeth were fine again. I did this on and off for the remainder of the 14 sets, so I didn't do all 14 strips in a consecutive two weeks, but it didn't really matter. I definitely saw a marked difference by day 4 or 5 (the box says there should be a noticeable difference by days 3-4). S. agreed. I started on September 10th, and didn't finish until October 5th. This wasn't entirely because of sensitivity, though - sometimes I was just too busy! I will say that it definitely worked for me - my teeth are a lot whiter, now, and I was happy with the result.