Tuesday, October 9, 2012

I Finally Pay Attention to Hair: Alterna Kendi Bamboo Smooth Kendi Oil

I'm guilty of neglecting my hair. It's short, it's low-maintenance (essentially, I'm a wash-and-go girl - I don't own a blowdryer and straightening/curling irons terrify me), and it's only a couple of years ago that I even started spritzing in some damage protection stuff (Damage Control from Aveda = good stuff).

This past summer, though, my hair's been a little dry and blah, so I've taken steps. After reading up on a few treatment oils, I ordered Alterna's Bamboo Smooth Kendi Oil Pure Treatment Oil from Amazon; it was $15.49 and I get free shipping with my student Prime membership (it's also available at Sephora, where it retails for $24, I believe).

It's a thick, oozy oil, and I like the bottle - it has a well designed neck that keeps excess oil from dripping off the dropper, and the liquid is viscous so it's easy to dispense just the right amount. The directions say that it can be used as a styling aid, or left in hair for ten minutes as a treatment and washed off. I've used it both ways, and am pleased.

I have short hair so I actually only use a drop (when I want to leave it in and rinse, I use a few drops). I warm it in my hands and work it into my hair; it's light, doesn't weigh down my hair, and restores some of my usual shine and sleekness. It also doesn't leave any sort of film on my scalp or hands, though I normally wash my hands afterward anyway.

All in all? Recommended. Granted, I haven't tried any other hair oils, but after this, I'm not inclined to search, either.