Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Lotions and Potions: Alchemic Muse

Quite a while ago, I needed some new bath and body products, so I placed an order with Alchemic Muse. They gave a full ingredients listing for every product, which is extremely important to me. I ordered a full sized Body Whip (a body butter), a mini Foaming Body Scrub, and a Mini Cream Soap. This is partially the reason why I picked Alchemic Muse, and not other indie shops - some of the others didn't have the three products that I wanted in scents I could live with.
A free sample of Honey Basalm soap was included with my order. I already opened the body whip. Oops.

The first thing I tried was the Willow Body Whip; this scent was from the Spring 2012 release and is described as "Crisp Leaves, Green Tea, Water Lily" (taken from the product page). The full size is 6 oz and is $10.00; the jar comes sealed in plastic and with a further seal in the jar (all jars came this way). The texture is not greasy or overly heavy; it rubs into skin well enough and it does feel moisturizing. The scent is quite strong and does linger; it's a spicy, clean scent, and smells like...the Dove for Men body wash, actually. It's quite masculine in my mind, but maybe that's just because I associate it with men? At first it wasn't my favorite, but it's grown on me. I'm not sure I'd repurchase the scent, but I would buy more Body Whip.

For the mini Foaming Body Scrub (2.5 oz, $4.50), I picked Vanilla Bourbon; I like vanilla, and I like bourbon, and anyway, it's a soap and washes off so I'm willing to be more experimental with fragrance choices here. It smells delicious at first, but then sort of deteriorates into something that smells like ginseng (blegh), so I'm not too enamored. The good thing is that it doesn't last. I like to use scrubs a few times a week to exfoliate my skin, and this one is quite nice - it foams up nicely and doesn't feel stripping.

The last thing I purchased was a Mini Cream Soap in Dreamcatcher (2 oz, $4.50); this is a spring collection LE scent. It is described as "honeysuckle, sugared citrus, green leaves," which sounded awesome to me. It does sort of smell that way, a well-rounded composition of all three, without any of them coming out too strongly. The texture of the soap is kind of like bar soap that's been softened and put into a jar; I'm not the hugest fan. I feel like I have to use quite a bit of it in order to get clean, but in the end, my skin feels a bit stripped, as well. Not something I'd repurchase.

Alchemic Muse refunds excess shipping charges and is prompt in doing so; I found the overall shopping experience easy and everything arrived within the stated TAT, in perfect condition. I will be shopping there again, but probably just for body lotions. They also make perfumes and cold-process soap, for those of you interested in those types of goodies.


Willow Body Whip ingredients:
Ingredients: Distilled Water, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Emulsifying Wax NF, Vegetable Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol NF, Macadamia Ternifolia (Macadamia) Seed Oil, Prunus Avium (Cherry) Kernel Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Seed Oil, Vitamin E, Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol

Vanilla Bourbon Foaming Body Scrub ingredients:
Organic Cane Sugar, Distilled Water, Vegetable Glycerin, Sorbitol, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, Sodium Chloride (Salt), Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Macadamia Ternifolia (Macadamia) Oil, Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Oil, Prunus Avium (Cherry) Kernel Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grapeseed) Oil, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Tetrasodium EDTA

Dreamcatcher Cream Soap ingredients:
Distilled Water, Vegetable Glycerin, Sorbitol, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, Sodium Chloride (Salt), Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Seed Oil, Macadamia Ternifolia (Macadamia) Seed Oil, Prunus Avium (Cherry) Kernel Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Fragrance, Citrus Bergamia (Calabrian Bergamot) Oil Phenoxyethanol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Annatto Seed Extract