Friday, September 28, 2012

Introducing: The Beauty of Science

As some of you know, I'm currently a Ph.D candidate in chemistry. My focus is in physical chemistry; I do spectroscopy and analyze the structure and function of proteins.
Yep. That's one of my lab notebooks - and my glasses.
Which means, essentially, that I sort of like science. Since I've been feeling artistically uninspired lately, I thought it might be fun to exercise the right brain a bit and bring that to the blog, by explaining some topics that are of interest to the beauty community.

I'm not trying to alienate readers, of course! But I am of the opinion that everyone can understand the principles of science, even if it's not your favorite subject. If you fell asleep in chemistry class in high school or college, I can sympathize. It's not always exciting, especially if it's not presented in an accessible way. I'm going to try to break it down with tools that have always aided me as a student: illustrations, out-of-field examples, non-jargon terms - because I think people don't always have the means to assess claims made by beauty/health brands, and being able to make informed decisions is important. Also, I know that a big portion of my readers are female, and that is an issue near and dear to my heart: there aren't enough women in science, and there should be.
I'm going to start with a basic primer - that will be the first post, which will be up this weekend. Then I will cover other topics, starting with antioxidants and free radicals - the culprits thought to be behind the aging process, as well as forms of cancer. Beyond that, I thought I would cover sunscreens (physical vs. chemical), the science of color, and anything else that might interest you: suggestions are welcome and encouraged! Of course, if this doesn't interest you at all, don't despair. I'm not turning this into a science blog. It's a beauty blog, so there will still be swatches, reviews, and looks. I just thought I'd mix it up a little bit.

Lastly, I have to put in a disclaimer: I'm not a health professional. I'm a graduate student with access to tools and an understanding of science. I'm not offering any health advice, and I'm not a consultant. I will do my best to answer any questions to the best of my knowledge, or direct you to another trustworthy source.
Some of my textbooks.
Okay. Now that we've cleared that up, what topics would you like to add to the list? I'm intending for this to be an ongoing series, so feel free to add as many as you want!