Sunday, July 29, 2012

What I've Learned From Fashion Blogs #7: Moms Aren't Always Right, But Sometimes They Are

My mother has a tendency to dress up - both in size and in occasion. She always looks well put-together, no matter where she is going. This doesn't mean she only dresses in brands and labels, but she knows how to make the most of an outfit. And she likes to dress up. Sometimes, I kind of see the appeal: you just want to throw on a dress and feel pretty. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

On the other hand, wearing one or two sizes too big is not really a good idea. I always used to do this - jeans, blouses, shirts, dresses...nothing was ever fitted, and in terms of modesty, I suppose that's understandable. In high school, I was allowed to wear halter tops and short-ish skirts (nothing with plunging necklines or anything riding up my thighs, of course) but even now, when she wants to buy me something, my mom still buys me clothes that are one or two sizes too big. I don't think it's on purpose - that's just how she tends to think. Her taste is fabulous and on-trend, but often times now the fit isn't right. At some point in the past few years - after living on my own - I finally realized that no, I'm not growing any more, and I want things to fit. S. also pointed this out several times in the past. If your pants are slipping around your waist, they probably don't look good, right? I was never in hugely baggy outfits or sloppy clothing, mind you, but I never wore anything like this, either.
Dress: Banana Republic
Clutch: gift from mom
Cuff: Nadri
Sunglasses: Maui Jim (hey, it's bright)
Nails: Dior
Silver Lake
Excuse the sass, S. was saying something snarky.
Which isn't to say that I'm trying to show anything off (what exactly would that be? Pft) but really, my body is my body, and there's no reason to hide in too-loose clothing. Some pieces are made to be loose and flowy and I get that, but some are not. I feel more put-together, less sloppy, and more confident, over all. Positive experience, right? When Mum sees me now, there are of course times when she feels I could be dressed a little differently, but for the most part, she likes the way I dress. Bottom line: no one knows your fit better than you do! Even Mum.
sandals: Target
Bonus to dressing up on a whim: S. decided I looked like I needed to be taken out on a date. Impromptu lunch date! 
What about you? Have you had any revelations when it comes to clothing - style, fit, etc.? Do you dress differently now than you did a few years ago?