Saturday, July 21, 2012

From A Single Palette: Four Eye Looks

I already swatched and reviewed theBalm's Shady Lady Volume 1 Palette, but some of you did express interest in seeing EOTDs with it, so that's what I have for you today. I tried to use every single color in the palette. You'll see me use some colors more often than others (Jet-setting Jennifer is one of my favorites!) but I did try to go through all of them at least once. I also played around with putting color on my lower lashline for some of these; I usually don't, because it's a pain to remove, but sometimes I do like the effect it gives.

I apologize in advance for all of the different lighting in these photos - the weather is never the same in Seattle, so when you take photos in natural light, well...they deviate. This post is also quite photo heavy, as I tried to take both an open and closed eye shot.

Look #1: Golds and browns. The pale gold shade all over the lid, the middle brown on the outer lid, and the darkest brown in the crease. I recreated this gradient on the lower lashline, then finished up with liner on the top lid. I quite like this look, and wear it quite often - it's even getting me to like brown. Typically, warm browns and I don't get along, but it works out here.
NARS Smudgeproof Eye Shadow Base
theBalm Shady Lady Vol.1
Jet-setting Jennifer, Shameless Shana, Caught in the Act Courtney
Benefit Magic Ink
Urban Decay
Bourbon
Revlon 3D Volume Mascara

Look #2: Gold and blue (I told you I liked that gold!). Pale gold all over the lid again, then the slate blue on the outer lid, darkest blue in the crease. Just like the one above, but with blues instead of browns! Finished up with liner - navy blue this time. Sorry for the lighting!
NARS Smudgeproof Eye Shadow Base
theBalm Shady Lady Vol.1
Jet-setting Jennifer, Risqué Renee, Easy Wheezie
Benefit Magic Ink
Urban Decay Binge
Revlon 3D Volume Mascara

Look #3: Plum Pink. I used the peachy pink and the glittery plummy pink shade for this one. They're not really colors that I go for very often, but I did get a number of compliments on this look, so perhaps it's not as unflattering as I thought?
NARS Smudgeproof Eye Shadow Base
theBalm Shady Lady Vol. 1
Luscious Lani, Curvy Cami
Benefit Magic Ink
Urban Decay
Crash

Look #4: Green Green Bean. Final colors in the palette being used! I saved my favorites for last. Basically these all follow the same scheme, though: a lighter all-over lid color, and a darker shade on the outer edges and in the crease. Sometimes I used two colors, sometimes (like here), three.
NARS Smudgeproof Eye Shadow Base
theBalm Shady Lady Vol. 1
Jet-Setting Jennifer, All About Alex, Jealous Jordana
Benefit Magic Ink
Urban Decay
Mildew
L'oreal Voluminous False Fiber Lashes


As you can see, this palette lends itself to colored, yet muted, looks. It's a fabulous find because you can have variety without coming out too over-the-top. I do wonder what would happen if I tried to use one of these shadows over something like Pixie Epoxy...maybe that will be my next experiment. As it is, I've used every single color in the palette, and these are four looks that I've been pulling out quite often over the past month or so. I can't recommend the Shady Lady Volume 1 palette enough!