Sunday, July 8, 2012

The End of a Quest: Dior Angelique Beige

I've been searching for a nude lipstick for a long time. I wanted something that would reduce the natural pinkness of my lips and soften the overall face, something to complement dark, dramatic eyes. I also wanted to be able to wear it on its own with bright blush and clean eyes. I went through a lot of colors and textures, swatching endless brands and shades (drugstore and high end!), but everything was too pink or too yellow or too peachy, too opaque or too creamy. Finish is very important for nude lipsticks, I think. In the end, I did what I should have done in the beginning: turn to my favorite lipstick line. Turns out, there was something there for me all along.

This is Rouge Dior 314 Angélique Beige; it was released with the Blue Tie collection last fall and is available at most Dior counters (but not at Sephora). It is not too pink, not too peach, not too yellow. It is creamy and wears well, but the coverage is not completely opaque, keeping it from becoming too mod or concealer-esque. This is my nude lipstick.
My lips were really dry for a little while - I apologize! You can see that it looks a bit streaky, but that's because it is not completely opaque. From a normal distance it looks completely fine.
Slightly different lighting - you can see its beige tones here.
It's a milky sort of yellow-based peach; once it is applied, it tones down my natural lip color and adds a nice shine. Rouge Diors are my favorite lipsticks; they're comfortable to wear and non-drying, but not at all slippery. They are lovely. I wore this particular shade in a recent FOTD post. Here's a quick comparison, as well, with other "MLBB" and similar shades.
I will never stop ranting about GIMP's lack of ability to accomodate accented characters. 

You can see that none of them are really similar, and they look markedly different on lips, as well. Primrose Crystal is the closests, but it's pinker and not as streaky on lips; it also has a balmier texture as it is a Rouge Sérum. Revlon Gold Dust is a gloss, but I threw it in there for its gold tones.

Rouge Diors are $32 for 0.12 oz. I bought mine from Nordstrom.

Ingredients: Polyglyceral-2 Triisostearate, hydrogenated polyisobutene, polydecene, polyethylene, polyglyceral-10 nonaisostearate, oxokerite, diisostearyl malate, ethylhexyl palmitate, synthetic fluorphlorogopite, C10-30 cholesterol/lanosterol esters, trimethyl-ol propane triisostearate, magnesium carbonate, cera alba (beeswax), calcium sodium borosilicate, distear-dimonium hectorite, caprylic/capric triglyceride, octyldodecanol, decyloxazolidinone, synthetic wax, parfum (fragrance), irvingia gabonesis kernel butter, hydrogenated vegetable oil, hydrogenated coco-glycerides, luffa cylindrica seed oil, ethylhexyl  hydroxystearate, silica dimethyl silylate, BHT, crithmum maritum extract, butylene glycol, phenoxyethanol, geraniol, tocopherol, propyl gallate, sodium hyaluronate, citronellol, amyl cinnamal, limonene, citral, benzyl benzoate. 
[+/-]: CI 12085 (red 36, red 36 lake), CI 15850 (red 6, red 7, red 7 lake), CI 15985 (yellow 6, yellow 6 lake), CI 17200 (red 33), CI 19140 (yellow 5, yellow 5 lake), CI 42090 (blue 2 lake), CI 45370 (orange 5, orange 5 lake), CI 45380 (red 21, red 21 lake, red 22 lake), CI 45410 (red 27, red 27 lake, red 28 lake), CI 47005 (yellow 10, yellow 10 lake), CI 73360 (red 30, red 30 lake), CI 77891 (titanium dioxide), CI 77163 (bismuth oxychloride), CI 77491, 77492, 77499 (iron oxides), CI 77742 (manganese violet).