Friday, July 27, 2012

A Step in the Right Direction...L'Oreal Voluminous False Fiber Lashes

You all know I'm not a mascara girl, and I have several reasons.

1. It's damn hard to remove. I always feel like I'm yanking out my lashes. Thumbs down.
2. Every one I've tried has either a. smudged like crazy, or b. added neither volume nor length, or c. both. FAIL.
3. The brushes are weird sometimes. I tend to poke myself in the eye.
4. I'm lazy.

I know. I could go on all day. I do like dramatic lashes, though (obviously, I'm a volume girl), so sometimes mascara just needs to happen. I like to keep one on hand for these types of occasions, but I have never found the right one. I'm also hindered by my quest for paraben-free products. And the fact that I have to use a really emollient eye cream in order to look like I've slept at any point in the past five years. So! I decided to venture into the realm of fiber and waterproof mascaras.
L'Oreal Voluminous False Fiber Lashes mascara is waterproof, and it comes in two types of black (which is typical); however, one of them is paraben-free and one of them is not...and I have no idea why. I just read the ingredient panels for both and picked the one that I could wear, which turns out to be Black (but not Blackest Black! Ha.). It's...black.
Ingredients for 290 Black only.
I picked it up on a whim during a sale, and didn't really have any expectations. Well, besides a fear that I would end up feeling little fibers fall into my eyes all day. (This didn't happen. Hurray). I've actually been wearing it almost daily (this is a big thing, you guys). It does smudge a little throughout the course of the day (especially when I work out; sometimes I end up going straight from work to work out, so I don't get a chance to remove it), but not as badly as some of the recent ones I've tried (Sephora Outrageous Volume, Sephora Full Effects, Tarina Tarantino, Revlon 3D Volume) . I also like the brush, and the drier formula. It's not so dry that it makes my lashes crunchy, though. I can't stand crunchy lashes.
Long, straight brush, no-fuss, and easy to use. Combs out my lashes well; I rarely have clumps.

It's not an OOMPH mascara, but it does hold a curl, gives me some volume - and length! - and several people have asked if I was wearing falsies while I tested this, so I think it does give me those coveted "natural-looking but full" lashes. My lashes but better? HAHA. Beauty bloggers are nuts. Anyhoo.
There's definition and some length, though not a whole lot of volume. It probably falls under the "natural-looking" category.
Both eyes, with mascara. I curled my lashes prior. I think it's actually more of a lengthening and defining mascara, and I want volume, damnit.
Bottom line: Not bad. I like it, and wish it were a little more va-va-voom and absolutely smudgeproof, but I guess you can't have everything, huh? I will still look for another mascara after this, but I'm absolutely happy using this right now.
I liked it enough to attempt a "fresh face" with it - just mascara, no eyeliner or shadow! *GASP* I think this may be the first time I've ever done that...and look at all of my undereye baggage! 
I bought mine on sale, but I think it normally retails for something around $6-10, depending on the shop. And now, I need to know: what is your favorite, favorite, go-to mascara? The one you'll repurchase over and over again. Tell me.