Friday, June 1, 2012

Empties + Rejects, V5

Welcome to another episode of Empties + Rejects. I find that this is actually a really great way to put out mini reviews of products that were just okay, or teaser reviews of products that I loved. Or mini rants. What do you think? Yay or nay on the empties posts?

Empties
I also changed out a Clarisonic brush head, but I have nothing to say about that.


Josie Maran Argan Oil, travel size
I like this! It showed up in my favorites twice. I used it as a night treatment, and it felt lovely. I'm trying some other things right now, but I will go back to this as an extra moisturizer or night treatment if nothing works out. Too bad the full size is so pricey!

Fresh Brown Sugar Body Cream, trial size
This one came in the Sugar Lust set I bought last year, and I only opened it when I ran out of my Aveeno last time. The lemon scent is really strong (S. said I smelled like bathroom cleaner - oh yay!) and I don't find the lotion particularly moisturizing. You also need a lot of it in order to feel properly, uh, lotion-ed up, and it's quite pricey (the full size retails for $35 for 6.8 oz, which is only twice as large as this one. Yeah, no). Would not purchase a full size. This was the part of the set that I was the least interested in, though, and I like both the lip scrub and the lip treatment, so all in all the set was still worth it.

Clinique Super City Block SPF 40
I used to use the SPF 25 version, but switched to this a couple of tubes ago and haven't looked back. I've gone through many tubes of this stuff; it is a good basic sunscreen. It's primarily zinc oxide but it does also contain chemical sunscreens. I also find that it acts as a primer; my foundations go on much more smoothly when I use this than when I don't (like at night, for example), so this probably means that I need to find an SPF-free primer for photo-heavy days.

Clinique Moisturizing Gel
The standard for me. Lately I've felt like it might not be moisturizing enough, but did you know that the Moisturizing Lotion has parabens in it? So...that's not an option. I bought another one of these (I've repurchased it many, many times) because it does work, and I figured that in the summer I won't want anything too heavy, anyway.

B&BW Moonlight Path Shower Gel
I like this scent well enough; it was the first "floral" that I ever really could tolerate. As I've said before, though, I'm trying to move away from SLS soaps, so after a few more bottles of this stuff (I have a couple left that I need to use up), I will probably start shopping indie whipped soaps and such. I'm quite excited!

Boscia Pore Purifying Black Strips, sample
I received a sample in a Sephora goody bag when I bought a new Clinique moisturizer; the packet had two strips. I used one, and made S. use one. Everyone should have clean pores! Ha. It works, but they're quite pricey, so I'd stick to drugstore versions.

Kate Somerville Oil-Free Moisturizer, sample packet
As I mentioned above, my skin has been drier than normal recently, so I decided to give other moisturizers a try. I had a sample of this lying around so I used it for a few days, day and night. It absorbs really quickly and doesn't leave any sort of residue, but I can't say that my skin felt very hydrated afterward either. The full size is $65.00 for 1.7 oz, so I don't think I'll jump.
A sheet mask is also emptied, but I can't read the brand or anything, so uh, ta-da!
Rejects
Makeup Forever Smoky Lash sample
Received a sample in one of my Sephora VIB goodie bags, and gave it a go. Only wore it once, because it FLAKES LIKE CRAZY. What the heck? It didn't seem to do much for my lashes, either, so it's definitely not worth it for me.

That's it for this edition of  Empties + Rejects. No expired products this time! Have you tried any of these? Also, I think I may want to try one of those fiber mascaras. Do you have a favorite?